Water heater gas control magnet assembly

Users who are viewing this thread

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
This video shows a gas water heaters magnet assembly. The thermocouple is screwed into the bottom of the magnet assembly. I removed the magnet assembly from the water heater control valve to demonstrate why you must hold the "red button" down while lighting the pilot.

In the video the top of the magnet assembly that I push down with my finger would have a steel rod direcly connecting it to the "red button" you depress to allow gas flow through the control valve to the pilot assembly.

The pilot light heats the thermoscouple to generate millivolts of electricity that charges an electromagnet. Until the thermocouple has been heated enough to charge the magnet you must hold the "red button" down to allow gas flow.

In the video I use a torch to heat the thermocouple and then depress the plunger and the magnet is charged. It holds the spring allowing gas to flow through the valve to the pilot.

When I turn the torch off,that would simulate the pilot being blown out or otherwise not present as to prevent the burner from firing if the thermostat called for flame.

When the electromagnet is no longer being charged the magnet can no longer keep the spring contracted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
now that was 2 minutes of my life that I will never forget

you got way too much time on your hands:cool:

I know how you feel but 5 times worse. I watched the 11 minute video pasted in the bottom of your posts. Thats what you get when you do too much LSD as a youngster as I believe the guy in the video has.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
No not lost I just dont believe what other people dream up and claim to have figured out the universe...... then apply it with a calculator.

well, dont worry about it....

just keep working on that gas control valve magnet.
that video is gonna go viral someday.;)

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
well, dont worry about it....

just keep working on that gas control valve magnet.
that video is gonna go viral someday.;)

What's to work on? I was doing a demo of what happens when your holding the red button down. I hope you learned something while watching it, if not maybe another guy did.

if you need me to explain anything about the video just ask and I will try to help if I can.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Whats to work on? I was doing a demo of what happens when your holding the red button down. I hope you learned somthing while watching it,if not maybe another guy did.

if you need me to explain anything about the video just ask and i will try to help if I can.

no, I am good....

the internal workings of a gas thermostat has never been
a burning question on my mind....

here is some more weirdness for you

Last edited by a moderator:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Thats what I thought. Alot of people have never considered what happens when your holding the red button down after lighting the pilot.

YoureaMonkey27

Reaction score
I know this is a really old thread, but this is strangely enough exactly what I was searching for a video of, but I don’t see the actual video anywhere Is this video still available?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks