Red & White 1/4 Turn Ball Valves STILL OK to use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
(I ask this because in today's world, products that have been good for years, suddenly take a turn for the worse in terms of quality without warning)

In my search for a QUALITY 1/4 turn, full port ball valve for my main shut off valve with AGGRESSIVE hard city water, I find Red &White brand are easy to get local, and others are a hassle.

Are Red & White 1/4 Turn Ball Valves STILL good quality to use?
In a past thread from 2006 I see where Terry recommended them.

Specifically, will a Red & White 5049F sweat connected 3/4".
Brass Body, Full Port, with brass/chrome plated ball, be durable enough for my purpose?

http://www.redwhitevalvecorp.com/pdfs/5049F%20spec%20Sheet.pdf

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have never liked, or used, Red and White valves from the day they entered the country, (they were the ones plumbers used when they needed to save money on the job), although in later years their reputation seemed to get better.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
(I ask this because in today's world, products that have been good for years, suddenly take a turn for the worse in terms of quality without warning)

In my search for a QUALITY 1/4 turn, full port ball valve for my main shut off valve with AGGRESSIVE hard city water, I find Red &White brand are easy to get local, and others are a hassle.

Are Red & White 1/4 Turn Ball Valves STILL good quality to use?
In a past thread from 2006 I see where Terry recommended them.

Specifically, will a Red & White 5049F sweat connected 3/4".
Brass Body, Full Port, with brass/chrome plated ball, be durable enough for my purpose?

http://www.redwhitevalvecorp.com/pdfs/5049F%20spec%20Sheet.pdf

For my home I used a 1" stainless ballvalve with a stainless handle. Mine is installed outside in a wet enviroment underground.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The last Red and White valve I remember working on was in a 2 1/2" copper line. I turned it off easily, but when I tried to turn it back on, the seals had "rolled" and I was only able to open it slightly before the handle shaft broke off. That was a nasty job to replace it using three street ells and a regular one. Plus no place to adequately vent the air expansion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks