Shower drain re-venting question

Users who are viewing this thread

se7en

Reaction score
I recently relocated a shower in my master bath and now I need to tie the 2" drain into the 1 1/2" vent again. The vent stack is only 3 feet away but I can't go up above the subfloor anymore). So I only have 5 inches of space above the drain line to work with. Is 5 inches enough of a drop for a vent before I add a 90 and run it over to the original stack?

Thanks,
James

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A vent line needs to be sloped so it doesn't fill up with water and close off the venting. Both drains and vent lines should have 1/4"/ft slope. Not sure I understand your full question or planned result. Maybe a picture or a diagram would help.

se7en

Reaction score
Thanks, I understand the slope. The issue is, that normally the vent would go straight up off the drain pipe (either straight to the roof or take a 90 degree turn over to a vent stack that does go to the roof, and I'm looking for the minimum height the vent should come up off the drain pipe before that 90 degree turn....

I'm trying to keep the vent pipe within the joist, so I can only come up about 5 inches before the 90 degree turn over to the vent stack. Is that acceptable?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The trap arm can be 60" long before the vent.
It's best to revent at 42" above the floor.

If the vent is being washed by a fixture lave a lav, then it can be lower then that for a while.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks