(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water belches from overflow tube.

DIY Junior Member frank in ohio's Avatar

Default Water belches from overflow tube.

I've noticed small amounts of water on the floor at the back of the toilet lately and have discovered that when flushing the toilet, water belches from the overflow tube for a split second. I think it hits the lid and then just kind of squirts out the back of the tank. I've looked at my other toilets and see the water comes up the overflow tube upon flushing, but doesn't get near the top. I've tried adjusting the fill valve, both to the lowest and highest adjustment, doesn't seem to make any difference. Any ideas as to what might cause this.

thanks
    frank

Pure physics would say that when the tank is flushed, there is no way for the water in the tank to create enough pressure to force the water HIGHER than its level, so something else is at play and you do not give us any facts to tell what.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

Try turning down the water flow to the toilet and see if that helps. You may have high water pressure. Check it.

All I can say is that the other two toilets don't do this. I'm on a well and the pressure is the same as what it has been for years, so not sure how to respond.

thanks
    frank

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frank in ohio View Post
    All I can say is that the other two toilets don't do this. I'm on a well and the pressure is the same as what it has been for years, so not sure how to respond.

thanks
    frank
    Did you turn the flow down some?

Turning the flow down may or may not stop the problem, but shut off valves should be full on. If you think the pressure is too high, get a pressure gauge and check it. It would be a good idea to have a gauge anyway, you should know what your pressure is anyway. You cannot lower pressure by turning a valve down either, you may reduce flow that way, but pressure will not change.

One possibility, and you would have to remove the cover and watch while it flushes, is that the water from the refill tube is splashing out.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Swart View Post
    Turning the flow down may or may not stop the problem, but shut off valves should be full on. If you think the pressure is too high, get a pressure gauge and check it. It would be a good idea to have a gauge anyway, you should know what your pressure is anyway. You cannot lower pressure by turning a valve down either, you may reduce flow that way, but pressure will not change.
    While that may be true for main valves.....its not as important for a fixture with intermittant use. I could give you an example of this if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    One possibility, and you would have to remove the cover and watch while it flushes, is that the water from the refill tube is splashing out.
    That's exactly what is happening, any idea why. It happens when you first push down on the flush handle, the water shoots out the top. I tried closing the shutoff valve a bit, no help. I also notice that if I ease the flush handle down gently rather than like you normally use it, the problem does not happen.

frank

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frank in ohio View Post
    That's exactly what is happening, any idea why. It happens when you first push down on the flush handle, the water shoots out the top. I tried closing the shutoff valve a bit, no help. I also notice that if I ease the flush handle down gently rather than like you normally use it, the problem does not happen.

frank
    Turn the water completely off to the toilet and flush it. Does it still happen then?

Quote Originally Posted by Hackney plumbing View Post
    Turn the water completely off to the toilet and flush it. Does it still happen then?
    Yes, I figured I'd try that when I closed the valve partially and that didn't work, so after the tank filled, I closed it all the way, same thing

frank

It sounds like something may be obstructing the flow of water from the tank into the bowl, causing it to back up the overflow tube. Also, the quick flow of water into the bowl traps some amount of air in the rim that must escape somewhere, so make sure all your jets are completely open. Since opening the flapper slowly helps, it may be giving the air time to escape, without pushing water ahead of it. Try turning off the water to the toilet, draining the tank, and lifting the flapper for a look where the water flows into the bowl. If your other two toilets are the same model, compare what you see there to them for any obstructions.
    Last edited by SamC; 01-30-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SamC View Post
    It sounds like something may be obstructing the flow of water from the tank into the bowl, causing it to back up the overflow tube. Also, the quick flow of water into the bowl traps some amount of air in the rim that must escape somewhere, so make sure all your jets are completely open. Since opening the flapper slowly helps, it may be giving the air time to escape, without pushing water ahead of it. Try turning off the water to the toilet, draining the tank, and lifting the flapper for a look where the water flows into the bowl. If your other two toilets are the same model, compare what you see there to them for any obstructions.
    Sam, actually took the tank off, don't see anything strange that would cause blockage. I used some drill bits by hand and rotated them up into those little holes under the rim, some holes were smaller than others, but none were blocked completely. I ran a snake into that hole at the very bottom of the bowl, it went in quite a ways without any obvious blockage. I dumped water into the hole at the back of the toilet where the tank connects, no problem there either although I realize the quantity isn't like a normal flush. I was going to go to Home Depot to get the parts to replace all the innards in the tank just for grins, but getting late and it's 20 miles away. Maybe tomorrow.

frank

DIY Senior Member Runs with bison's Avatar

I'm wondering if this would be a symptom of a venting problem for the toilet drain (no fault of the toilet.) If the vent is partially clogged and can't handle the volume of liquid entering it all at once it is going to compress some air (a couple of inches of water pressure) in the line and then that air will find another path to vent. Perhaps snake the vent stack from the roof and flushing through it to wash out any gunk that is knocked loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Runs with bison View Post
    I'm wondering if this would be a symptom of a venting problem for the toilet drain (no fault of the toilet.) If the vent is partially clogged and can't handle the volume of liquid entering it all at once it is going to compress some air (a couple of inches of water pressure) in the line and then that air will find another path to vent. Perhaps snake the vent stack from the roof and flushing through it to wash out any gunk that is knocked loose.
    I will certainly try that also, but wouldn't it be the same vent for all the toilets, the other two work fine. But I will try, supposed to be close to 60 today, rare for Ohio in January.

frank