Hole in Copper

Users who are viewing this thread

Psjr56

Reaction score
I was installing a new electrical line to a garbage disposal and my son cut out the old shelf under the sink because the particle board turned back into particle. While drilling a hole to put up a ledger across the wall to carry the new shelf guess what he drilled into!!!! Any how, what are the metal plates called that you put across a stud? Do you pros put them in when you run water pipes?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
They are called nail plates and should be used anytime a wire OR pipe passes through a stud or a floor/ceiling plate.

Good time for a little lesson in common sense for sonny boy! See the water valves for the faucet?? Good chance there are some pipes closeby!

Psjr56

Reaction score
I thought the same thing. He saw the one for the Hot but the cold was obstructed but commons sense should have kicked in. No nail plates at all. Guess the builder didn't want to put out the 30 cents a piece for them.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
They are called nail plates and should be used anytime a wire OR pipe passes through a stud or a floor/ceiling plate.

Good time for a little lesson in common sense for sonny boy! See the water valves for the faucet?? Good chance there are some pipes closeby!

For smaller diameter pipes in the center of a 2x4......I do not use them and it's not required.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Nail plates are only effective if the person realizes something is wrong when the bit encounters resistance. I once had a carpenter drill a hole in a steel gas line, and then he said he wondered why he was having such a hard time drilling it.

Psjr56

Reaction score
You have a point there HJ. I think they would make you think if you were trying to drive a nail or a screw.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks