Who runs more plastic than copper nowadays?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rap

Reaction score
I've heard guys say that they mostly use plastic in preference to copper these days - is this the common experience?

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I've heard guys say that they mostly use plastic in preference to copper these days - is this the common experience?

Plastic DWV for me for 99.9 percent of my installs. My higher end customer want copper(for potable) and I suggest copper if they currently have a copper system however somtimes the job dictates the best type of pipe to use.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Alot of people think copper would last forever in a DWV system but installed in the wrong location without protection this is what can happen.

Attachments

• coppansewergas.jpg
    coppansewergas.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 357
Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
PVC and ABS are practically indestructible. Copper is wonderful for water lines in most places, but there are some areas that have minerals in the water that eat copper so CPVC or Pex are used for supply lines. As you can see by the previous post, copper and acids found in drains don't mix too well. Add the very high price of copper to the mix, I can't imagine why anyone would use copper for a drain system. You can see in the above photo the drain is eaten up, but the supply lines are in like new condition.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
PVC and ABS are practically indestructible. Copper is wonderful for water lines in most places, but there are some areas that have minerals in the water that eat copper so CPVC or Pex are used for supply lines. As you can see by the previous post, copper and acids found in drains don't mix too well. Add the very high price of copper to the mix, I can't imagine why anyone would use copper for a drain system. You can see in the above photo the drain is eaten up, but the supply lines are in like new condition.

Sewer gas caused that DWV copper to fall apart.

Rap

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Hackney, i've occasionally seen degraded DWV Cu. like in the pic. But how can you be sure that it's the, admittedly corrosive, sewer gases? Was the structure on a septic tank, or unusual disposal conditions?

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Hackney, i've occasionally seen degraded DWV Cu. like in the pic. But how can you be sure that it's the, admittedly corrosive, sewer gases? Was the structure on a septic tank, or unusual disposal conditions?

I did the repair and there was alot of sewer gas flowing. It was unusually bad.

The home is connected to a city sewer system.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The plumbers in this area who use plastic for water lines are the ones doing the "cheap" jobs.

I think there are places such as at least part of Florida that have problems with copper water supply lines.

Psjr56

Reaction score
Guy at work had to replace his copper with CPVC because his well water kept making pinholes in the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks