(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: A curious newbie and a valve

Threaded View

Question A curious newbie and a valve

Hi!

I don't know anything about plumbing -- or maybe I should say that I didn't know anything before, now that I've started lurking these helpful forums ;) --, but I got to learn, because I want to make the right choices and I assume that the plumber who'll install my new shower set won't research these things. So, I've been looking at American Standard thermostatic valves and I had some questions about them.

1. Is it possible to use both port (shower and tub) on a valve like the R520 if I use a stop valve/volume control on that second line?

I've searched the forum a bit and I found this answer:
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut9199 View Post
    You can use both ports but you will probably find a noticeable water temperature difference.
    Is there anything else I should be aware of? Can both ports be used at the same time?

2. American Standard thermostatic valves are limited at 112° F at the factory, which seems crazy to me. :/ Reading the product description, I thought that my plumber could circumvent that by adjusting the 100° F "baseline" to, let's say, 106° F, giving me a new 118° F maximum.

Am I right? Could this cause a problem?

3. I've been reading a lot of comments stating that you could/should install a thermostatic valve using the tub port regardless of the application.
    Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    If using for shower only install the body upside down to eliminate future problems and give maximum flow. DO NOT, install the cartridge upside down, however.
    Why do the manufacturers show the other configuration in their diagrams, though? Maybe they want to sell their bigger models... If a valve is rated at 9 GPM, is it from the shower outlet? And if so, what can we expect from the tub outlet, then?

OK, enough questions! :P Let me thank you for reading my ramblings, and maybe commenting on them. :D
    Last edited by db65; 01-27-2012 at 10:24 AM.