DWV Layout Bath & Laundry

Users who are viewing this thread

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the input, Hackney even I can understand your visual aid. There's no doubt in my mind if you had professional drawings you could assemble it, box it and send installation instructions. Understand your major and minor for the laundry, and the revent or not if it will keep the code man happy, I will do it. The one thing I still don't have clear is venting the shower, someway I can tie it back into the three-inch stack with the cleanout or should I just vent it separately.

I stated in my first posting this site had become my favorite forum, It's all because of folks like you who will contribute your knowledge to a perfect stranger and contributors like Hackney Plumbing who says maybe the guy will understand if I go out in my yard and lay it out and take a photograph of the layout and posted it. May be it will help the retired old man do what he loves to do; work hard every day and stand back in the evening and looked at his accomplishments with help of others.
Thanks
Norm

Glad I could help! To vent the shower just install a wye between the connection to the main building drain and the P-trap for the shower. Part of this wye will be used to extend a vent to any wall and up.

The idea is to place the vent between the trap and the connection to the larger building drain. This will protect the p-trap from siphonage.

If this is not clear I will snap you another pic and show the shower. It can vent seperate or you could revent it back into the 3" stack....atleast 42" above the floor.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
To vent the shower just install a wye between the connection to the main building drain and the P-trap for the shower. Part of this wye will be used to extend a vent to any wall and up.

Like Hackney said if you revent have have to observe guidelines on the height you tie back into the main vent. Hackney said 42" above floor and I also believe at least 6" above the highest draining fixture on that stack.

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image.jpg
    New Bitmap Image.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,485
Last edited:

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Connecting vents below flood height of highest fixture

Attachments

• 85.JPG
    85.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,454

N0rm

Reaction score
Thanks again I think I'm good to go how I will post a drawing in a day or so.

Norm

N0rm

Reaction score
Plumbing Lay Out 3-2.jpgPlumbing Lay Out 3-3.jpgPlumbing Lay Out 3 -1.jpgPosted are some drawings based on the recommendations I received to the best of my understanding. I would appreciate any input recommendations or opinions.

Thanks
Norm

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Connect your revented shower higher. It should be connected 42" or above. Looks good,now take that to the inspector with sizes and developed lenghts. Need a job?

Where the washer and the laundry sink connect to the vertical.....those are fixture fittings I assume. They look like combinations,that would not pass with me.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
The first thing I noticed was the combos instead of sanitary tees on where you trap arms meet the stack.

Hammerlane

Reaction score

Attachments

• dwv.JPG
    dwv.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,513
  • galv tee.jpg
    galv tee.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 13,342
Last edited:

N0rm

Reaction score
Thanks again, those are combo fittings. I will look up Charlotte pipe specifications for sanitary tee and make some. There are a few fittings on the web, but I could not find any to the manufacturer’s size, layout specification. Which was very important trying to fit all of this within the confinement? How about the inverted combo fitting tie-in to the stack for the shower? I'll make some changes and add some dimension and be back.

Thanks
Norm

Hammerlane

Reaction score
How about the inverted combo fitting tie-in to the stack for the shower? I'll make some changes and add some dimension and be back.

Thanks
Norm

That could also be a San-T(inverted because of being for vent). Don't know if its a problem being a combo since its for venting.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I don't really care if some random YouTube video disagrees...

We aren't here to debate, common practice is to use a san-tee, why you would INSIST on using anything else is beyond me. And the code books agree.

N0rm

Reaction score
Here is a combination of your advice. If there is anything please let me know otherwise I will buy some fittings and pipe and do a mockup for the inspector when he is here doing the rough-in electrical inspection.
Thanks. All of your input has helped me get to this point.
NormPlumbing Lay Out 6-1.jpgPlumbing Lay Out 6-2.jpg

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Since you're going to have walls open and what not would it be adviseable to put access to clean-out in the vertical drain that picks up the bath sink. This could also be used for any toilet clogs downstream of the combo if needed.

See what Hackney says.

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image.JPG
    New Bitmap Image.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 1,856
Last edited:

N0rm

Reaction score
Hammerlane the present location of the cleanout is in the laundry room with the 18 inch clearance by code. The total sewer will run a little over 100 feet through the house. The inspector wanted the cleanout at the very start which is at the laundry room and would not require any additional cleanouts.

The program I use is Google's Sketchup 8 Pro but there is a Google sketchup 8 which is free for downloading. Very easy to use and very intuitive. Hi CWHYU2 I had put pipe sizing on the previous posted drawing and overlooked it on this latest one, I blame it on old age.

Thank you guys, Norm

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Also, how about a re-vent on the laundry standpipe, and everyone is okay with the flat vent on the shower below the floor?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks