Is there a quality shower base out there that does not cost $1700.00?

Users who are viewing this thread

Brianslink

Reaction score
I have a new construction home with crawlspace. We are ready to do the master shower...it's a double shower that is custom sized at 52" X 76" rectangular. This is the shower only, tub is in a separate space. Initially we were going to have a custom tile job done for this shower with a custom pan built and then have a local glass company come in and do glass doors. After talking to my friends and other people, it appears that leaking shower pans are the norm around here. The builders around here tell me that tile guys here are not too good at building leak-proof horizontal surfaces.

I think I would like to have a shower base built from a solid material that will never leak, then have someone do tile on the vertical shower walls. I had a bid for an ONYX brand shower base in the dimensions listed above and the qoute was for $1700.00 carry out. Installed price was $2,000. This is for just the base only and I feel the price is absurd. I went to Lowes and looked at their shower bases and the stuff looks like it belongs in a mobile home. While in Lowes I saw a friend of mine who recently built 20 rental cabins on the river. He told me he used all shower bases from lowes and so far 9 of them have been broken in a year. People are stepping through them and cracking the bottoms. This is not what I want in my home.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes a decent, solid surface type base in a custom size that might be more reasonable in price?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You would be better off with a local "cultured marble" fabricator. ANY custom base that size is going to be very expensive, especially if it is made "offsite" and shipped to you.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Custom = $$$. $1700 is on the low side. A good tile installer can build a 30 year tile shower.

Brianslink

Reaction score
HJ thanks, I will have to look into the cultured marble.

Hackney, I just though the price was too high comparing to other things I already bought...a beautiful 6' Soaker Tub from TOTO for $975.00 delivered to my door. I also bought 3 cm granite throughout the kitchen for $35.00/Sq Ft installed. So I figured a good quality shower base should be somewhere around $900.00 carry, out. Am I out of line? I'd like to hear from some others here...is the Onyx worth the price?

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
HJ thanks, I will have to look into the cultured marble.

Hackney, I just though the price was too high comparing to other things I already bought...a beautiful 6' Soaker Tub from TOTO for $975.00 delivered to my door. I also bought 3 cm granite throughout the kitchen for $35.00/Sq Ft installed. So I figured a good quality shower base should be somewhere around $900.00 carry, out. Am I out of line? I'd like to hear from some others here...is the Onyx worth the price?

Thats a custom size and its very large. That equals $$$$. Goodluck.

Jastori

Reaction score
The builders around here tell me that tile guys here are not too good at building leak-proof horizontal surfaces.

A leakproof custom tile base is very possible, but does require a knowledgeable / skilled installer (who may be difficult to find). Personally, this is the route I would go for a large custom shower. If you want to learn more about the proper methods for building a custom tile shower, there is great info at the John Bridge forum. If you are considering hiring someone to do the job, you need to understand enough of the proper technique so that you can evaluate the potential installers. You may even be able to get a referral to a qualified installer on the forums.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
A leakproof custom tile base is very possible, but does require a knowledgeable / skilled installer (who may be difficult to find). Personally, this is the route I would go for a large custom shower. If you want to learn more about the proper methods for building a custom tile shower, there is great info at the John Bridge forum. If you are considering hiring someone to do the job, you need to understand enough of the proper technique so that you can evaluate the potential installers. You may even be able to get a referral to a qualified installer on the forums.

I suspect a custom tile done right(keyword) would cost more than the prefab base. A days labor here for an experienced tile contractor is 1200-1500 a day plus material). Thats with a helper.

You can bet your bottom dollar the prefab base manufacturer knows what that size base would cost in tile.....and priced their base accordingly.

Last edited:

Brianslink

Reaction score
ok guys, your info has been very helpful. I am placing my order for the Onyx on Monday:)
THANKS!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A good tile guy should be able to make that tileable shower base in about 3-hours to a max of a day. Materials would be less than $200 (not counting tile). There are many more ways to do it wrong than to do it right, but there are lots of decent ways to do one that would last several lifetimes.

If, when you install those shower bases from places like Lowes, you don't bed them in mortar, since they typically aren't very strong, they'll flex. Install them in a mortar bed, and they do NOT flex, and will last quite awhile. If you don't treat fiberglass well, you can scratch it, but that's another story.

Rap

Reaction score
With respect to Jim, like Hackney said, there's quite a bit of work in building a mud base, including, if done properly, a 24 hr wait for the pre-slope and a 24hr wait for the base - not to mention the curb and backing detail.
Surely Oklahoma tilers do swimming pools, and surely they dont all leak?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you go with something that uses a surface membrane, you may only need one mudbed. Total labor hours should not exceed what I indicated, but depending on what you do, it typically needs to be spread out over several days. There is an exception, at least to getting it done, and that might be with Wedi...the stuff is fairly easily cut, and you could put the whole shower up in a few hours, ready for water test or tiling the next day..

masfavorit

Reaction score
Onyx shower stall and base

I have a new construction home with crawlspace. We are ready to do the master shower...it's a double shower that is custom sized at 52" X 76" rectangular. This is the shower only, tub is in a separate space. Initially we were going to have a custom tile job done for this shower with a custom pan built and then have a local glass company come in and do glass doors. After talking to my friends and other people, it appears that leaking shower pans are the norm around here. The builders around here tell me that tile guys here are not too good at building leak-proof horizontal surfaces.

I think I would like to have a shower base built from a solid material that will never leak, then have someone do tile on the vertical shower walls. I had a bid for an ONYX brand shower base in the dimensions listed above and the qoute was for $1700.00 carry out. Installed price was $2,000. This is for just the base only and I feel the price is absurd. I went to Lowes and looked at their shower bases and the stuff looks like it belongs in a mobile home. While in Lowes I saw a friend of mine who recently built 20 rental cabins on the river. He told me he used all shower bases from lowes and so far 9 of them have been broken in a year. People are stepping through them and cracking the bottoms. This is not what I want in my home.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes a decent, solid surface type base in a custom size that might be more reasonable in price?

We just remodeled out master bathroom with a full Onyx system. It is beautiful and durable. This product is guaranteed for life. They will either replace it or refund the money if it doesn't hold up. We got gloss stone. Very easy to clean and has a slip resistant bottom. The water channels right to the drain. I simple love it. We paid $1900 for the package with a seat we installed. This was not a custom fit. It is well worth the price.

Jan Roy

Reaction score
Onyx shower stall and base

We just remodeled out master bathroom with a full Onyx system. It is beautiful and durable. This product is guaranteed for life. They will either replace it or refund the money if it doesn't hold up. We got gloss stone. Very easy to clean and has a slip resistant bottom. The water channels right to the drain. I simple love it. We paid $1900 for the package with a seat we installed. This was not a custom fit. It is well worth the price.

What size shower did you install?

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I think I would like to have a shower base built from a solid material that will never leak

There are many ways to build a leak proof shower. You don't need a single piece solid floor to accomplish it. Also be aware that it is recommended to use small sized tiles (like 6" or under) on shower floors for slip resistance. The grout joints provide the foot traction. A "single piece" floor material (unless designed for shower floor with some built in slip resistance) will probably be very slippery.

Go to this site - where the professional tile guys hang out, and ask. http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=11

There are several ways to build a shower and install tile. Read about the "complaints other people have" you can address these issues before the job starts and in the contract. Learn what "lippage" is, etc.
Good Luck

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks