Canted Control Valve on new GE water heater from HD...Buy it or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

ST1300Rider

Reaction score
I bought a HD GE 50 gal gas 9yr online and went to get it at HD since HD's GE/Rheem is phasing out the old mechanical(Unitrol type) w/piezo and I want to get one w/o the Honeywell ICON's that are set to arrive next week.

I went to pick up my WH today and noticed the "old school" temp valve( like the Unitrol) was mounted slightly "canted" left to right onto the tank with a 1/2 diff(1/2 from edge of control valve to outer tank on the Left and 15/16" on the Right.

Is this a big deal? Or should I say...how is the control valve mounted to the water tank? Attached between the insulation and the exterior of the water tank?

Long to short....is a canted control valve a functional issue or cosmetic? I am tempted to take it as they are giving me 75 off for the canted valve which will pay for the extended warranty years 2-9. 549 OTD w/ a warranty til 2021.

LMK guys...I have to go back tomorrow and decide. The mgr said all the new GE's next week will have the Honeywell's so I am tempted to get the "old school" and forego the crazy LED control valves that cause so many probs.

Thanks

BTW...I opened 3 WH boxes and two were seriously crushed on top and the third was perfect except for the "canted" control valve.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I bought a HD GE 50 gal gas 9yr online and went to get it at HD since HD's GE/Rheem is phasing out the old mechanical(Unitrol type) w/piezo and I want to get one w/o the Honeywell ICON's that are set to arrive next week.

I went to pick up my WH today and noticed the "old school" temp valve( like the Unitrol) was mounted slightly "canted" left to right onto the tank with a 1/2 diff(1/2 from edge of control valve to outer tank on the Left and 15/16" on the Right.

Is this a big deal? Or should I say...how is the control valve mounted to the water tank? Attached between the insulation and the exterior of the water tank?

Long to short....is a canted control valve a functional issue or cosmetic? I am tempted to take it as they are giving me 75 off for the canted valve which will pay for the extended warranty years 2-9. 549 OTD w/ a warranty til 2021.

LMK guys...I have to go back tomorrow and decide. The mgr said all the new GE's next week will have the Honeywell's so I am tempted to get the "old school" and forego the crazy LED control valves that cause so many probs.

Thanks

BTW...I opened 3 WH boxes and two were seriously crushed on top and the third was perfect except for the "canted" control valve.

I'd like to see it before I said its ok. If they discount it make sure the warranty is still valid on the heater.....make SURE

The control screws in.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Perhaps the major drawback to the box stores is the way the products are handled. Chances are when the units come off the truck, they are stacked 4 or 5 high one pallet right on top of another. The boxes on that bottom pallet are taking a hydro, as we used to say in the Navy. I doubt if the unit left the factory with the gas valve cockeyed, so I would be leary of it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF it bent the tank, then the glass lining is probably compromised. Not sure what that screws into. My guess is it screws into the burner, so may not be as big a deal, but could be.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
if the gas control was hit hard enough to turn it.....I assure you it would show damage to the control and the box at the control. I've seen that on just about every brand heater I've worked on that has a flex burner tube. Infact that prolly why they use a flex tube so they dont hafta be perfectly straight

ST1300Rider

Reaction score
The control screws into the tank.

Thanks for all your replies....!

Although the control screws into the tank-does it permeate through the tank to the inside lining?

The other WH that was crushed on top had the control knob knocked off.

This unit looked perfect except for a slight cant on the control valve.

The valve was not "rotated" it was square vertical just not perpindicular to the WH left to right-canted,

How does the control valve sense the H20 temp? Hopefully from not penetrating through the tank- as that would provide another lead point.

The picx are on my cell phone---I cant up load them.

Opinions are mixed.....so more would be appreciated!

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Yes the control extends into the tank and senses the temp. If you unscrew the control with the water on you'd get wet :).

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
If standing in front of the heater the control is tilted up or down(bent) thats a very bad and the heater is garbage as it could also have tank damage and for sure the control would be bad,

When the control was screwed into the tank opening if they didn't get the control exactly vertical that may not be a big deal at all.

All in all since you worried just dont buy it.

ST1300Rider

Reaction score
It's vertical-it's bent left tp right....

The Valve is vertical in that is not tilted up of down.

It is bent laterally(not screwed perpindicular/bent) to the tank-thus thats what I mean bent to the left when looking down the tank from top to bottom on the front. side,

OK in the up and down; bent from left to right severely.

I should have sent bent laterally to the left....sorry for the confusion.

thank!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks