Washer drain/toilet drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff Oosterhof

Reaction score
Recently I moved my laundry to the 1st floor from the basement which required all new plumbing.

While I am not a plumbing expert I know enough to get by. The washer has been working fine and draining fine until today. As of today the toilet in the master bathroom on the same floor and is the furthest toilet from the laundry will not drain even with plunging and when the washer drains the water comes out from underneath the toilet in the 2nd bathroom which is much closer to the laundry. The toilet in the 2nd bathroom functions fine as do the rest of the drains in the house. With the toilet in the master bathroom it began to work just fine after I shut the washer down and let everything set for a little while, but as soon as I turned the washer back on and it finished its job the toilet in the master bath now appears plugged again and the washer is backing up from underneath the 2nd bathroom toilet. Any suggestions?

I did not install a separate vent pipe for the washer as it was fairly close to the vent pipe for the 2nd bath and the master bath has its own vent pipe. This was done this way only after consulting someone with more plumbing knowledge than myself. Is the problem possibly just a venting issue for the washer drain? And if so can I just install an air admittance valve to the washer drain line?

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; did not install a seperate vent pipe for the washer as it was fairly close to the vent pipe for the 2nd bath and the master bath has its own vent pipe. This was done this way only after consutling someone with more plumpling knowledge than myself.

The "second floor vent pipe" would NOT have been in the first floor area, and how much knowledge did he need to know more than you did. It has to be a major, and unusual, stoppage to affect the first floor toilet without overflowing in the basement.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Last edited:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Recently I moved my laundry to the 1st floor from the basement which required all new plumbing.

While I am not a plumbing expert I know enough to get by. The washer has been working fine and draining fine until today. As of today the toilet in the master bathroom on the same floor and is the furthest toilet from the laundry will not drain even with plunging and when the washer drains the water comes out from underneath the toilet in the 2nd bathroom which is much closer to the laundry. The toilet in the 2nd bathroom functions fine as do the rest of the drains in the house. With the toilet in the master bathroom it began to work just fine after I shut the washer down and let everything set for a little while, but as soon as I turned the washer back on and it finished its job the toilet in the master bath now appears plugged again and the washer is backing up from underneath the 2nd bathroom toilet. Any suggestions?

I did not install a separate vent pipe for the washer as it was fairly close to the vent pipe for the 2nd bath and the master bath has its own vent pipe. This was done this way only after consulting someone with more plumbing knowledge than myself. Is the problem possibly just a venting issue for the washer drain? And if so can I just install an air admittance valve to the washer drain line?

Sounds to me you have a partial clogg in the main building drain or the sewer. The washer dumps alot of water which fills the pipe up.....over time the pipe drains down and the toilets will flush again. You need a new wax seal under the toilet that leaks around the base. Plunging a toilet with a clogged drain will do nothing but blow your wax seals out of the toielt your plunging in.

Call your favorite drain cleaner IMO>

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If the floor under the leaking toilet is not concrete, it will be rotting away soon. You have a clogged drain and a bad wax seal under the toilet. Get it fixed before the damage becomes greater than it already is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks