need to ID tub/shower valve...plz Price Pfister 0X8-310A

Users who are viewing this thread

ConvexLes

Reaction score
So sorry. My only access to internet right now is via mobile phone, and its not letting me post a picture. I know nothing about these, I think the plumber is crazy, my bathroom is gutted, it feels like a crisis. Could someone please help me figure out what kind of valve this is, so it can be fixed/replaced? It leaks from the tub spout...but only while the trim is ON, so it seems. Previous owners evidently covered up some water damage, I had to replace some subfloor, add blocking between joints, insulation, then reset the tub. All seems dry under there now, but...not wanting to go though this ever again, need to make a decision about these existing valves. The valve housing is brass, appears well made, and in good shape. Wishing I could post a pic because I'm skeptical as to if it was installed correctly.The underside of the brass housing is stamped with the following characters:TUBTYPE RASSE 1016PPThe stamp on the top side is harder to make out:S(?)(?)R1716STForgive me if this seems obvious, but I'm having trouble figuring it out on my own, and the plumber I called won't tell me...he's trying to force me into buying ugly trim I don't even like, at a 450% mark up, plus labor. I don't want to buy new trim right now, if I don't have to...since I just had to replace my hot water heater on top of all this. I don't think this valve was the source of the water damage I just fixed...It looks newer than the rest of the piping. If its a decent valve that could be repaired by a plumber, I would rather do that. If it can't be repaired, perhaps I could buy a new valve that will work with my existing trim? Or...maybe its not even the right trim for the valve. There's been so many strange things about this house, it wouldn't surprise me if the previous owners switched out the trim before they sold the house. I don't know. I could really use some help to sort it out, before I call plumber #2. I'm having recurring nightmares about Plumber #1.When I first opened the walls, I was expecting to find junk that would need replacement...but this doesn't really seem like junk. If possible, I was hoping to add an additional handshower outlet to make it easier to wash my dog. If its reasonable to repair the existing valve...in a way that's not too risky, it would save me from having to buy all new trim, and maybe Jester could stir get his doggie shower? I could always add an access panel to in via the adjacent closet later if it came to that. I'm anxious to get my walls back on, but after all this work... I don't want to rip out everything if these valves are still in good shape, as they appear. I haven't attempted to take them apart yet, so glad I found this forum...as that probably would have been next. Good grief. What a mess!

Last edited by a moderator:

ConvexLes

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, I'm at the shop with my truck now. When it rains it pours....if my phone battery dies, I'll be home in less than an hour to charge it. Thank you!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1984 is a pretty old valve. Since the wall is open, it would be a good time to replace it.
The new valves come pressure balanced, which is now current plumbing code, and a big improvement.

ConvexLes

Reaction score
I have a funny feeling the valve is new, compared to the rest of the plumbing in the room...I'm back home now and will try again to post some pictures. I don't mind replacing them, if they really are that old. But if it means ill need to buy all new trim too, then I might be without a bathtub for a month or so.
If I did go with new valves, without trying to match up to the existing trim... I'm almost afraid to ask about which brands are the most reliable. So many differing opinions out there. I hadn't decided on a brand yet, when the water heater died. I was planning to visit a showroom just to get a feel for how the brands compare in person first. You can't really tell from pictures alone... And without knowing what valve I have now....not sure what to do.

Last edited:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
With PP stamped on the valve I'm guesing it could be Price Pfister. Is the stem that the handle slips onto a black plastic material? The valve I'm speaking of the stem pulls in and out to turn on and off. To adjust the temp you turn the handle left for hot and to the right for cold. I'd love to see a pic just for kicks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
ASSE 1016 is the spec. for pressure balanced valves, by the American Society of Sanitary Engineering. Other than that it tells us nothing. Not likely to find ANY useful identifying numbers on it.....need photos of cartridge and trim pieces.

ConvexLes

Reaction score
Lol....I live up on a mountain, nearest plumbing supply store is about a two hour drive down a mountain pass. I've got a sleeping disorder too, so driving all the way down there can get kind of tedious. That's not why though...I ended up spending $700 of my bathroom budget to replace my hot water heater, and only get paid once a month. I've got money to buy new valves if I need them, and to pay a plumber to install them. But, if I need to buy new trim too... It will need to wait until the next check now. That's the biggest reason why.

Meaning: I wish I had found this forum BEFORE I started taking the bathroom apart.... I didn't realize new valves also meant new trim....but I really was expecting them to be much worse than this. The subfloor was the really scary part for me, so I'm glad that's done.

ConvexLes

Reaction score
1327357855-picsay.jpg

Good grief, I hope this posts, AND that its the right picture. I've been trying to post one since yesterday, its this phone...and the file is too big.

Last edited:

ConvexLes

Reaction score
1327362232-picsay.jpg

I haven't touched it except to take off the trim...I've just been working around it. I don't dare take it apart, because I cant tell if it has screwdriver stops.... But I don't think it does. It doesn't leak at all as long as I leave the trim off... Which seems puzzling to me. We do have minerals in our water...if it was only a matter of replacing a cartridge, or something...it might take some of the pressure off temporarily, but if its not really worth repair... I'll replace it now, then worry about getting trim for the new valve later.

Lol....on the bright side, at least I've got hot water to wash my hair with, while sponge bathing in the kitchen. :)
Oh.... And the tub isnt sinking into the subfloor anymore....:D
It could be much worse....lol

ConvexLes

Reaction score
1327364504-picsay.jpg1327364616-picsay.jpg

Oops. Needed to track down the original showerhead, which I liked better anyway... I never used it more than a couple times.Someone asked see the trim. Trying to post that now...

The hand shower cost ten bucks. I hated it, but got into the habit of just using it all the time because of my dog. He had to be kept really clean all the time since he was with me in public everywhere. That's why I need an extra shower outlet... The way I was doing it wasn't exactly working that well. Plus, I need the handshower line to reach all the way across the tub. Especially now that its not the same dog... He's not used to taking showers with me while were in a hurry quite yet. Lol. (Up. I'll be researching about ways to make sure everything gets truly waterproofed too, as soon as these valves are done.)

Oops, and no. The volume controls only twists.... It doesn't pull out to turn the water on. (Spell check is not working for me today.) You move the handle CCW to increase water flow.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pfaucet

It is a PfisterFaucet pressure balanced valve and you can get MANY different trim items for it, in several finishes, but they have to be designed for that type of valve body.

It could be the Price Pfister
0X8-310A valve body

0X8_310A_valve.jpg

pp_ox8_parts.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

ConvexLes

Reaction score
****Yes I think that is the one....yay!
Thank you so much! I'll do more reading on this brand now, but I feel much closer to figuring this out now....I'm so grateful!
------

Oh my gosh, you guys are so incredibly cool... I have no idea what this means yet, but I feel like I've won a moderate victory just being this close to knowing what it actually is!

Irving take the volume control knob off...turn it off with a pliers, the water will stop dripping from the tub spout pipe. Actually, its only when the vol. Control knob is on that it won't stop dripping. I've kind of been measuring it ...almost 2" of water in the bottom of the tub while I slept, so it can't stay that way. Hmm.

If there are many trim kits that will fit it? Does that also mean that an updated price psister valve might accommodate my existing trim?

If I turn off the water to my house, and if I carefully removed those 4 screws....what would happen? Could I get the exact part number that way? (Nevermind, I see you posted it...lol) Would I ever be able to turn my water back on? Ever?

I'm hoping to make the journey down to the (what I believe is) the plumbing store nearest to me on Wed....if I'm going to get the parts to add a second shower outlet, I will need to buy those parts at the same time. Then I got a referral to plumber #2... I don't know how sweat solder... Assuming ill need some help. I know how to braise a little, but not right next to walls, or potentially flammable things. Lol.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks