I need a timer for a bathroom fan/light/heater combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Erico

Reaction score
The plan is to place the heater on the timer and switch the fan and light.

I have to check again, but I believe the heater is rated at 1000 watts.

The largest wattage timer I have run across is 600 watts.

Can anyone steer me to a supply house who carries higher watt timers? Perhaps my google fu isn't up to snuff.

Here is what I have found and what I had in mind (only higher watt timer).

http://www.iaqsource.com/product.php?p=ps_3funswieletim-i&product=172673

Erico

Reaction score
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=17139&minisite=10022 has at least a few that are rated at 1800W. Depends on the style.

Thanks for that.

For some reason, I have the hardest time navigating their site.

I still can't find the double rocker switch on their site. I know it exists becauuse it's on HD's website here:

I sure would like to read the specs, Can find it under HD's published MFG model #.

I assume a regular 15 amp double rocker would do the job of running the fan and light. Not sure what kind of wattage these switches are or what my fan uses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A fan is likely less than 200W, probably a lot less. As to the light, most won't hold more than about a 75W bulb.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Some hair dryers are 2000w, does everything you plan to hook up here seriously draw that much power?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The link I pointed him to provides several choices of timers that can handle 1500W and are electronic. Now, they are not a combo switch with a second/third switch for the light and fan, so he would need a multi-gang box. Sometimes, the fan manufacturer sells a combo switch deisgned for their product...since he did not indicate a brand for that, I didn't search for one, but he should. But, many places have their fan/light wired with two switches, so you could get a combo switch for those two functions, and put the heater timer in the other place in the box - or, just make the box bigger.

Erico

Reaction score
You will probably need a rotary spring wound timer to handle that amperage.

I think you are correct. That's the way we will go. Also, I don't know if there is a nuetral in the switch box and some of those push-buttons require a nuetral.

Erico

Reaction score
The link I pointed him to provides several choices of timers that can handle 1500W and are electronic. Now, they are not a combo switch with a second/third switch for the light and fan, so he would need a multi-gang box. Sometimes, the fan manufacturer sells a combo switch deisgned for their product...since he did not indicate a brand for that, I didn't search for one, but he should. But, many places have their fan/light wired with two switches, so you could get a combo switch for those two functions, and put the heater timer in the other place in the box - or, just make the box bigger.

Yes, you did. And thank you.

It's an old broan fan/light/heater original to the house circa 1971. It does have a proprietary control now.

I need to add switches so I'm cutting a little drywall anyway and intalling a 3 or 4 gang box.

I haven't pulled it apart yet so I'm not sure what those things went in to? Would it be a regular 2-gang box?

At this point, I'm leaning to a mechanical winder timer because it appears some of thos push-button timers require a nuetral and I don't know if there is one in the switch box.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks