New house wire

Users who are viewing this thread

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Boy what a question.

How much experience do they have?

What appliances are being installed?

What types of fixtures are being installed?

What type of wiring method is being used?

Is this new or a remodel?

The list goes on and on.

JWelectric

Reaction score
If you are discussing the demo job in the other thread it could end up taking a couple of weeks. That is if everything you do passes the first time and you don't have to redo a lot.

Let’ see here at minimum wage this could run into over a grand. Still would be less than what I would charge for a remodel and a new 400 amp service

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
I'm to the point where I completely ignore posts like this. I wait for others to ask for more info, or tell them this is not nearly enough to go on.
Then, if and when they decide to add more details to the situation I decide if I feel like interjecting.
I find many times the OP never even returns. That is always special.

JWelectric

Reaction score
I'm to the point where I completely ignore posts like this. I wait for others to ask for more info, or tell them this is not nearly enough to go on.
Then, if and when they decide to add more details to the situation I decide if I feel like interjecting.
I find many times the OP never even returns. That is always special.

I sometimes wonder if some of these post by members that never return might be a member asking a question under another user name.

I do know this has happened on another web site because I was learning the site and noticed that a couple of the members had the same IP address.
I haven’t check IP addresses here but wouldn’t care if they did unless they were using the other user name to cause trouble in which case everyone using that IP address would get a PM.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; How long for two guys to wire new house.Two story 4800 sq ft

Three days to two weeks, depending on the complexity, if they know what they are doing, and whether it is time and material or quoted price. (Time and material could take forever, quoted price it could take half the time they estimated)

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Speedey makes a good point. This OP ( lumpy ) has not returned to this thread, or the one above where he asked about using a sawzall to whack the walls for new wire. He is probably sitting back with the other lurker kevink1995 and enjoying the kegerator!

By the way, I hope that Milwaukee tools is not lurking around to pounce on my use of the word "sawzall". We could just call it "Kleenex2".

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I sometimes wonder if some of these post by members that never return might be a member asking a question under another user name.

I do know this has happened on another web site because I was learning the site and noticed that a couple of the members had the same IP address.
I haven’t check IP addresses here but wouldn’t care if they did unless they were using the other user name to cause trouble in which case everyone using that IP address would get a PM.
You mean, as the moderator, you have access to everybody's PM's here? that's comforting:rolleyes:. Pardon my naevity.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
No. What he is saying is that is someone had multiple usernames, and were using these multiple names to cause trouble, he would send the guy a PM and tell him to knock it off.

I'm a supermod on another site, and with that site, we don't allow multiple usernames (mostly to avoid scamming people when buying/selling things). It probably isn't as much of an issue here since nothing is bought/sold.

BTW: I vote that sawzall = band-aid :)

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
No. What he is saying is that is someone had multiple usernames, and were using these multiple names to cause trouble, he would send the guy a PM and tell him to knock it off.

I'm a supermod on another site, and with that site, we don't allow multiple usernames (mostly to avoid scamming people when buying/selling things). It probably isn't as much of an issue here since nothing is bought/sold.

BTW: I vote that sawzall = band-aid :)

I have no problem with rejecting multiple user names from the same IP address, but my question was just how private a "private message" is here. I also have no problem at all with Terry seeing EVERYthing that goes on here, as he owns this place.

I have a gen u wine Milwaukee Sawzall© , so I guess I can call it that.

JWelectric

Reaction score
Private messages are just that private. I have no means of accessing your private message but I can send you one and should I see that the same IP address has two different user names I wouldn’t pay it any attention unless one of the user names from that address was causing problems.

I know and understand that there a few out there that have only one computer but several that live in that home. Dad uses one user name, Mom uses another user name, and the rug rats use their user name but all have the same IP address.
Dad gets on the site and posts something and someone else disagrees with him. Then one of the curtain climbers gets on the site and starts raising all sorts of cane and using foul language. I would send that monkey a PM telling him that this will stop as well as sending everyone else at that same IP address the same message.

I don’t know of this ever happening here but am aware of it happening at another site and the IP address was blocked. I don’t think it is fair to punish everyone at that address for the actions of one unless the abuse continues.

I teach classes where all the students don’t have access to a computer. I have let students use my computer in the class room and when this happens we all have the same IP address. I do monitor their post closely so Terry won’t block me. Boy wouldn’t be something, the moderator gets blocked.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I have no problem with rejecting multiple user names from the same IP address, but my question was just how private a "private message" is here. I also have no problem at all with Terry seeing EVERYthing that goes on here, as he owns this place.

I have a gen u wine Milwaukee Sawzall© , so I guess I can call it that.

IP addresses mean very Little compared to a MAC address.

MAC Address can very rarely change but IP's are easily changed.

We need some more Q codes to keep up with all this Kleenex.

QRA ?

If your message in on the Internet it is not a "private message"

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Private messages are just that private. I have no means of accessing your private message but I can send you one and should I see that the same IP address has two different user names I wouldn’t pay it any attention unless one of the user names from that address was causing problems.

I know and understand that there a few out there that have only one computer but several that live in that home. Dad uses one user name, Mom uses another user name, and the rug rats use their user name but all have the same IP address.
Dad gets on the site and posts something and someone else disagrees with him. Then one of the curtain climbers gets on the site and starts raising all sorts of cane and using foul language. I would send that monkey a PM telling him that this will stop as well as sending everyone else at that same IP address the same message.

I don’t know of this ever happening here but am aware of it happening at another site and the IP address was blocked. I don’t think it is fair to punish everyone at that address for the actions of one unless the abuse continues.

I teach classes where all the students don’t have access to a computer. I have let students use my computer in the class room and when this happens we all have the same IP address. I do monitor their post closely so Terry won’t block me. Boy wouldn’t be something, the moderator gets blocked.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
LOL, Don't do no work, and you won't get hurt.
Just don't be too close to somebody using a nail gun. This guy did it too himself http://www.tecca.com/news/2012/01/23/nail-gun-accident-brain-damage/ , but years ago, near where I live, a family was having lunch at a BK, and construction work was being done next door in the shopping strip mall. A nail went through the wall and killed a child. This story is not the one I am talking about, but another similar incident in CA http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99241 :eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks