I know I should prolly cut this, but thought I'd ask first

Users who are viewing this thread

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
Ok,

I have hard time piecing in PCV for some reason, much harder than it looks!

I put in this 2" ptrap and it's all glued in. I had already glued the street ell part of the ptrap to the drain line, but screwed it up and didn;t get it straight.

When I put the trap part of the p in place, it didn't seat over the street ell 90 very well. Here's a pic. what do you guys think? cut it out and try a gain? I usually do better the 2nd or 3rd attempt. It seems tight and a quick test didn't leak

2012-01-21_17-04-06_576.jpg

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
Hey, thanks Terry!

So it's not a problem if the pvc connections aren't seated all the way? I'm guess this caught an 1/8 to a 1/4" or so...it's in there 'cockeyed'

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the pipe and fitting and size, pvc pipe can push itself out of a hub for awhile if it isn't held . The fitting is tapered, the cement acts like a lubricant, and it can push itself out a bit. PVC connections are interference fit...meaning that the socket is smaller at the bottom than the pipe and only fits if you get the primer and cement on to melt the plastic. But, once the solvents evaporate, it can generally make an okay bond if it isn't fully seated.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Its the weak spot but it might outlast the structure.....and again it might not. I've seen bad connections that weep a bit and crust up but the customer never sees any water. Small weeps in PVC can seal themselves with grease,soap etc. I've seen bad joints on pvc water mains that lasted 30 years before they failed under 80-100 psi so your drain connection may never fail. Its a toss up with me leaning that its ok considering you used primer and applied the solvent properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks