CBU above tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Brihen

Reaction score
CBU above tub.

When tiling a surround,I know to keep the cbu up from the tub, but can it touch or rest on the small lip of my cast iron enameled tub? Also the wall studs on the back wall, are about .5" back from the tub. Would I need to shim the cbu out, or is this close enough since the tile will be out another .25" or so ?
Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Ideally, either the tub is set in notched studs or you fir out the walls so the cbu can come down over the tiling flange. But, that isn't done all that often, as the enclosure is normally a little large, and firring out the studs means the surround wall doesn't line up with the rest of the bathroom.

You should have a vapor barrier behind the cbu that laps over the tiling flange. This could be plastic or roofing felt. If the cbu won't install over the lip, you can bring it down to just above the lip. As long as the tile you're using is supported by more than half on the cbu, the overhang of the tile by the lip won't be a problem. You want a small gap at the tile/tub joint, and you should caulk that. Personally, and industry, when you have a deep joint like that, it's better to first partially fill it with foam backer rod, then caulk. The caulk then gets shaped more like an hour-glass and can flex better without pulling itself off of one edge or the other when installed as a big rectangular slug of caulk. And, when it comes time to recaulk, you have a better chance of getting the old stuff out.

Brihen

Reaction score
Thanks, that sounds like a good way to go about it. Any other tips or suggestions?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Make sure that the tub is sitting level and sturdy before you close things in.

Brihen

Reaction score
The tub looks pretty good.I did find one bad board in the sub floor, next to it, for around a foot or so at the faucet end. There is a bigger area of dry rot on the other side or the room, by the sink. Unfortunately the sub floor is t+g 2x5 on post and beam, and to make it worse the bad boards go all the way to the outside wall, so there is nothing to nail to or support along that wall unless I put another beam along the foundation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks