Adding bathroom on second floor, questions

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnBinTN

Reaction score
Hi everyone. The subject line above should have been preceded by "maybe", I think. :) I'm just trying to get an idea of what will need to be done (probably by a "real" plumber for some/most of it).

What we've laid out would situate the proposed bathroom almost directly above a 1st floor bathroom. There is attic space behind where the tub would go, as well as behind where the toilet will sit. Right behind the wall where the toilet will go is the main 3" (or 4"?) vent pipe through the roof, as well as another 1-1/2" vent pipe that the water heater and furnace drain to. On the exterior of the house, almost straight down from the location of the large vent is a (I think) clean-out at the foundation (two story house on a slab).

My main question is what will be involved with plumbing the drain under these conditions? Will this require cutting into the slab to tie into the existing toilet drain line? If it makes any difference at all, we have a septic system, and the main drain to the tank is in the front of the house, while the existing 1st floor and proposed 2nd floor bathroom is along the rear wall.

I'm almost scared to get someone in for an estimate, as we only have one child (so would rather not have to sell our first and only born to finance the project).

Replies greatly appreciated (even if it's just something I can show to my wife that might dissuade her from this project!)

Thanks,

John in TN

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

The vent remains a vent all the way through the roof.
You will need to run waste lines down past the first floor bathroom, and tie in downstream.
Vents for the lower bathroom will need to go through the roof, or at least tie in at 42" above the second floor.

dwv_b2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks