Seattle gets Space Shuttle Trainer

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Seattle's Museum of Flight will officially take possession of NASA's space shuttle full-fuselage trainer at Johnson Space Center on Thursday, NASA announced Tuesday.The museum had hoped to make a real shuttle orbiter the centerpiece of its new space gallery, but lost out to New York, Los Angeles and the Kennedy Space Center. The plywood trainer is the same size, with a flight deck and cargo bay, but no wings. Astronauts used it to familiarize themselves with shuttle cockpit controls and emergency exit procedures.The transfer ceremony is set to start at 8:30 a.m., Houston Time (6:30 a.m., Pacific Time).Last month, the Museum of Flight dedicated the gallery to tech billionaire and space tourist Charles Simonyi, who donated $3 million to the effort, and gave a preview of the new facility. The gallery is scheduled to open permanently this spring.http://www.seattlepi.com/business/b...ght-getting-space-shuttle-trainer-2590666.phpMay be a Snow delay for delivery. lolI helped to build the electronics in this one.Now Terry can learn how to fly a discontinued Space Shuttle.

shuttle_houston.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It was freaky enough landing a Cessna for me. I tried that one time and the instructer told me that I would be better off with something that hugged the ground. Which I did once it was landed. I bounced on the front tire and the instructor turned white as a sheet.

It's pretty cool that I can see that in Seattle though. I will need to take the grandkids down to see it.
I can pretend I'm flying the shuttle and looking down on everything. And then I can puke.

Their great grandfather did the wiring on the blackbird.

museum_of_flight_blackbird.jpg

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I will definitely plan a visit to the museum in the spring. I have been to Cape Kennedy three times, and it was a fantastic experience every time. The first time, I was able to actually drive around a shuttle sitting on the launch pad! The last time I had a dozen middle school students with me and we were able to see, hear, and feel a launch. The only sad part of that was there was an overcast so visual was lost fairly soon. But I'll never forget it nor will my students.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I will definitely plan a visit to the museum in the spring. I have been to Cape Kennedy three times, and it was a fantastic experience every time. The first time, I was able to actually drive around a shuttle sitting on the launch pad! The last time I had a dozen middle school students with me and we were able to see, hear, and feel a launch. The only sad part of that was there was an overcast so visual was lost fairly soon. But I'll never forget it nor will my students.

Let me know when you are going to go, and I may be able to get you some free tickets.

Kind of a bummer that you have to pay, so you can go look at what You the Tax payer already paid for.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks