(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New house water smell

Quote Originally Posted by birchlake View Post
    Back again with an update.

I performed the softener sanitization procedure that Gary recommended with chlorine bleach outlined in post #11. The smell completely went away for about 8 days. On the 9th day, a slight smell returned. On the 10th day, the softener regeneration took place and the smell disappeared again.
    SRB and all other reducing types of bacteria live in the ground and ground water and come in to the well with its recovery water as you use water. They produce gas, and slime etc. in toilet tanks.

Although I've never heard of this problem before... And if it was H2S you should have that odor constantly. Odor from SRB is very similar to H2S. If your odor is different then it won't be from SRB. I did have 'bad' resin once that was producing a chemical smell and replacing the resin cured the problem.

If the odor is like H2S, since the odor takes 9-10 days to show up in the water, why not sanitize the softener again and reprogram the softener to regenerate every 8 days?
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    SRB and all other reducing types of bacteria live in the ground and ground water and come in to the well with its recovery water as you use water. They produce gas, and slime etc. in toilet tanks.

Although I've never heard of this problem before... And if it was H2S you should have that odor constantly. Odor from SRB is very similar to H2S. If your odor is different then it won't be from SRB. I did have 'bad' resin once that was producing a chemical smell and replacing the resin cured the problem.

If the odor is like H2S, since the odor takes 9-10 days to show up in the water, why not sanitize the softener again and reprogram the softener to regenerate every 8 days?
    Odor is not rotten egg strong, but definitely has a tinge of that. And a slight black staining of the toilet. The consensus is that this is a ground water issue. Sulfate reducing bacteria from a 305 foot well is not unusual according to the chemist at the place I had my water tested.

Gary, your recommendation is exactly what my plumber recommended we try.......So that is what I'm going to do. One more sanitizing of softener and then an adjustment for an 8 day regeneration of the softener.

I will update you guys after I see how these measures work.

Thanks a lot for the guidance!
    Last edited by birchlake; 03-01-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Yeah every once in a while a plumber makes a right call. Or maybe he's been reading my posts! Like Steve here.

Black is usually caused by manganese and you could have some MRB (manganese reducing bacteria).

Yes regen/sanitize first using the higher volume of salt and then before using any water change the programing for 8 days.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Ziiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggg.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Well guys; wanted to give you a longer term update. Everything is going well with no smell after I performed that last sanitizing and set an 8 day regeneration schedule for the softener.

Onto the next issue which is about hydronic radiant heat control for which I just posted in the "boiler forum".

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by birchlake View Post
    Well guys; wanted to give you a longer term update. Everything is going well with no smell after I performed that last sanitizing and set an 8 day regeneration schedule for the softener.

Onto the next issue which is about hydronic radiant heat control for which I just posted in the "boiler forum".

Thanks for your help!
    I'm glad I could help and that it worked.

Thanks for the feedback.