(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Electrical Boiler

Quote Originally Posted by ballvalve View Post
    I would thank dana and I for telling you your boiler "water heater" is about 2x oversized.
    YEP, Cause that answered my orginal question!!

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

If that answered your question, you would have #6 or 4 wire and a half size WATER HEATER, so I do not understand that point.

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

If that answered your question, you would have #6 or 4 wire and a half size WATER HEATER, so I do not understand that point.
    The reason you don’t understand might be because you keep calling the boiler a water heater.

Thumbs up

Ballvalve,

I didnt ask if my boiler was oversized or if I should have used a water heater. My question was about the size of the wire and breaker.

I thank you for the response but JW and SpeedyPetey answered my question.

Thank you to all who responded!!

Everyones likely tired of this, but your boiler that does not boil water - why did you oversize it?

Everyones likely tired of this, but your boiler that does not boil water - why did you oversize it?
    I think it is kind of funny.

It is a water heater.

And a nice one.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Gentleman, I think we are close to having this thread closed.

Quote Originally Posted by technogirl74 View Post
    Actually in the new house we plan on using radiant for the flooring.

Sometimes you gotta know the whole story, but there isnt eough space to write the whole story.

thanks JW and Speedy petey for the help.
    We're gonna go with HVAC contractor and use the 2/0 and 125 amp breaker.
    That's all the more reason to ditch the electric boiler and propane and think seriously about applying whatever you're spending on this (likely way oversized) electric boiler and applying toward an appropriately-sized air-to-hydronic heat pump (such as a Daikin Altherma) NOW, which will go in quicker than geothermal for half the money. If your existing heat emitters are cheap baseboard you may have to add thin low-temp panel radiators to get the heat into the rooms with the low-temp output of the Altherma, but slab radiant floors can be done relatively cheaply and are guaranteed low-temp.

It'll be more money than a condensing propane boiler (or "water heater" , in ballvalve's mistaken terms, since like the electric boiler it DOES boil real steam bubbles on the heat exchangers. :-) ) but it'll cost less than half the cost of either resistance electricity OR propane to operate, and can provide both domestic hot water AND a significant amount of sensible cooling (but you'd still need a dehumidifier in summer, if that becomes your primary cooling method.)

If not an Altherma now, a mini-split sized to heat/cool the exisiting zone, and an Altherma later for the radiant floors would work, and provide latent-cooling (from the mini-split.)

Anything spent installing an electric boiler now is wasted, unless the both the boiler and the installation are free (or nearly-free). Even at the lowest electric rates in NY a mini-split solution would pay for itself relatively short years on operating costs (paying down the delta in upfront costs, if you apply what you would have spent on the electric boiler solution to the mini-split.)

Since she is unable to tell the "whole story", this has all been a bit of a folly. Good will to those nano- steam bubbles forming on the boiler nee water heater coils. 2/0 copper wire for a bungalo's warm floor? Enough to operate a few complete houses.

Perhaps the family has stock in the chinese company that was given the right to mine the worlds largest copper deposit that the AMERICAN geologists discovered in Afghanistan, and lost to a 30 million$ bribe given by the chinese to the ministry of mining. What happened to the 'spoils of war going to the victor'? we spent 940 billion on this idiotic war, and handed 1 TRILLION dollars worth of minerals over to china, Russia, and a rogues list of enemies. Please read this expose on the pathetic use of our soldiers: http://www.dailyfinance.com/2010/06/...ineral-mining/

Those who control the earths copper control the heat in New York.
    Last edited by ballvalve; 01-30-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

As this thread seems to be doing nothing but insulting the original poster I see no need for it to remain open.

The original poster has gotten the answers they were looking for and there is no need to tell that person that they are making a bad discussion. They are getting what they want regardless if we agree or not.

To keep posting how much they have erred and posting political junk is gaining no ground but it could be insulting to some so I am closing this thread