Kitchen Sink Shutoff Valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Psjr56

Reaction score
What is your preferred type of shut off valve for under a kitchen sink. Have to help my future son-in-law put in a new faucet and the cold shut off is seized. I usually go to the local Plumbing supply, stuff at the big box stores looks cheap. Doesn't have to be pretty. We'll also probably use SS braided hoses, cabinet has a center stile so getting in there is a pain. Thought about compression fittings, copper pipe is 1/2". Any suggestion or comments good or bad are welcomed, I have thick skin, lol.

thanks, Pete

Psjr56

Reaction score
Terry, What are compression stops? Is this the type of valve (e.g. ball valve) or the fittings to connect with. Never heard the term compression stop.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's the manner in which the fitting attaches to the pipe. There are many, but some only work with certain pipes. On copper, your common choices in probable order of common usage are compression, soldered, or threaded. There are some companies that also make 'push-on' fittings that use gripper teeth and an o-ring(s) to make the seal, but the other three have stood the test of time.

A compression fitting uses a compression washer over the pipe that gets sandwiched into the valve by a nut to make the seal. the soldered is probably obvious, as is the threaded one (where the pipe dope and/or thread sealant fills the gaps in the threads to seal). My preference is a 1/4-turn valve which doesn't have a washer to get old and stiff.

Psjr56

Reaction score
thanks for the replies so far. I was thinking 1/4 turn with compression fittings. Only place I've seen flare fittings used was either oil heater fuel line or on car fuel & brake lines.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As I understand it, flare requires soft copper...the more prevelant piping here is rigid copper.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You would be most likely to find flare valves in mobile homes. Some new faucets, but maybe not Moen, come with integral supply lines these days, so you cannot use the stainless steel ones.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks