Proper way to strap pipe and going through lumber

Users who are viewing this thread

micalk

Reaction score
I have a project to complete, plumbing a shower wall with a temperature control valve, two volume control valves, a ceiling mounted rain-shower and a massage body spray on one valve and a double shower head on the other valve. I have two basic general questions regarding plumbing.

Obviously my project will require a number of pipes going through the ceiling to and from the attic crawl space. The old construction had grommets in the lumber to isolate the pipes from the lumber. Is this still a valid practice? Is there code that requires this?

My second question involves securing the pipes so that there is no movement in the fixtures and allowing for expansion/contraction. The old construction secured the pipes with heavy copper wire with rubber covering the area where the wire contacted the pipes. The wire was wrapped around the pipe then the end of the wire was nailed into the framing to hold the pipe away from the wood. Is this still the best way to secure the pipes? What other ways work well. I wouldn't expect to use regular plumbers tape on copper (contact between dissimilar metals would cause corrosion) unless there is copper plumbers tape. And tape wouldn't stand the pipes off the wood. Your suggestions are most welcome.

Taylor

Reaction score
I've found copper-coated hangers at the Homer that I've used. A clasp tightened by two screws, and a rigid strap with holes for screwing to lumber. I used brass screws, which are a real pain to drive BTW. There are also wrire straps that get hammered into the lumber, I assume it is only a matter of time before those things get loose.

I'm also curious to hear if grommets are required, since I ran pipes through joists without grommet. I suppose there is an argument for protecting the lumber from water leaks, hard to do when you're going through three sistered joists.....

micalk

Reaction score
Grommets

I doubt the grommets are for protection, probably more for isolation and noise. Is anyone familiar with these? Should I look at Home Depot?

I'll look for the straps. As for the heavy wires hammered into lumber, the ones in my house were still solid after 27 years.

Taylor

Reaction score
I know the grommets for copper are at the Homer. Doesn't hurt to give your friendly plumbing supply place your custom, they are good for informed advice.

For DWV, I've heard the suggestion of spraying foam where it goes through a hole in lumber. I'd use the blue can of Great Stuff for windows, it stays spongey after it cures.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks