(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hiding a dishwasher air gap?

The reason your clear glassware come out with spots is you are not using Jet Dry. I use Finish which has a Jet Dry tablet built in, but I also use the liquid in the dispenser. No spots ever. We do give the dishes a quick preprinse even if it is not really necessary a probably is a waste of water, but there is never any crud left in the bottom of the DW. Also we do not have a disposal by choice. Never have had a clogged DW or a clogged sink in 40 years. (Not the same DW. I have always used a high loop, also without problems. I was unaware that Washington required an air gap until I read Terry's comment. Guess I won't sweat it after this long.
    Last edited by Gary Swart; 01-17-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    How does California State get away with breaking Federal laws ???
    What federal law? There are no "federal" laws on plumbing. Coming soon however, a federal low lead spec

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Swart View Post
    The reason your clear glassware come out with spots is you are not using Jet Dry. I use Finish which has a Jet Dry tablet built in, but I also use the liquid in the dispenser. No spots ever. We do give the dishes a quick preprinse even if it is not really necessary a probably is a waste of water, but there is never any crud left in the bottom of the DW. Also we do not have a disposal by choice. Never have had a clogged DW or a clogged sink in 40 years. (Not the same DW. I have always used a high loop, also without problems. I was unaware that Washington required an air gap until I read Terry's comment. Guess I won't sweat it after this long.
    From what I have seen, it is more than water spots, Takes some doing to get it cleaned off. Pasta seems to be a big culprit.

The pre-rinsing need is another thing, If you have to wash them before you put them in the dishwasher, Why not just wash them by hand ?
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

I have a dishwasher. Had her for about 25 years now. She does a pretty good job most of the time. If I replace here with one of them new fangled electric ones then I'm gonna have to spend time talking to her.

I think Souix Chief but maybe not, but I know someone makes one that mounts under the counter. Maine goes by the UPC but they are happy with a high loop and so am I.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

With most modern DW, there is no need to prerinse. If you are the type to take days to do a full load, then most all of them have a built-in prerinse cycle that gets rid of the crud. Using it saves water. The better ones also have photo sensors in them that looks at the wash water and stops when it stops seeing crud moving by, which saves on water and speeds up the cycle if it can. Add that to the built-in heater that can come on to help sanitize and dry the dishes, and you'll find that they do NOT have food particles and are much more sanitary than washing them in the sink by hand. To get these results, you have to load the thing properly so the jets can reach everything. Letting things like spoons or forks 'spoon' in the rack will not allow it to clean them properly, but it's easy to avoid.

With a functioning air gap, there's no chance that you could ever end up with dirty water backing up into the DW...that's the reason for the air gap. Especially if you use the tailpiece built into a GD, if it was clogged, the thing acts like a pump, and high loop or not, it could pump waste into your DW. Now, if you didn't notice, you might try to use those dishes only to end up sick. Since that is a rare occasion, few people experience it. But, you are safer when one's installed than without whether you believe it or not.

The detergent often used in a DW can create a pitting or haze on some stuff, but most of that stuff is not listed as safe in a DW in the first place. If you follow the manufactuer's instructions, your dishes will be cleaner and you'll use less water (and energy) in the process.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Thanks Jim.

What is the best brand ?

Mine has a food Grinder built onto the pump. WTF it ain't a garbage disposal.

I like to spoon with my girl, but never let the silverware spoon in the dishwasher.

It is hard to reach every angle with the water spray, but the heat does kill the bacteria.

I have never gotten sick from doing them by hand, I keep My sinks clean.

They look cleaner doing them by hand, You can wash until clean.

What is in the rinse agents that is suppose to get rid of water spots ?
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

My DW is old, but still works fine...I'll replace it one day. Until then, I've not compared them in ages. Features I'd want in a new one are SS interior that won't warp or crack or start to discolor or smell as it gets old; dirt sensor so it can adjust the length of the wash cycle; pre-heater in case the incoming water isn't hot enough for a proper wash, and racks that are flexible to allow more choices on placement of items. Multi level sprayers are relatively common, but some have more levels than others...this helps.

Many DW recommend JetDry...they also often have a dispenser for that in the door that is adjustable. That is the most common one available.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    My DW is old, but still works fine...I'll replace it one day. Until then, I've not compared them in ages. Features I'd want in a new one are SS interior that won't warp or crack or start to discolor or smell as it gets old; dirt sensor so it can adjust the length of the wash cycle; pre-heater in case the incoming water isn't hot enough for a proper wash, and racks that are flexible to allow more choices on placement of items. Multi level sprayers are relatively common, but some have more levels than others...this helps.

Many DW recommend JetDry...they also often have a dispenser for that in the door that is adjustable. That is the most common one available.
    I have one with the "clean sensor".....awsome,it runs until the dishes are clean. Only time somthing may not come clean is if food was left to dry on the dish. Get one and you'll be happy you did.

I have a Bosch DW. They recommend Jet Dry and Finish detergent. There is a reservoir in the door for the Jet Dry. The Finish is in a cube that has an additional rinse agent capsule. This works very well, I have never used any other brand, so I can't offer a comparison. The Bosch uses high heat to dry the dishes after washing. This feature does not dry plastic or metal, but they are clean and it takes just a quick wipe to get the remaining water. Silverware do dry fine.

I understand the legal requirements around the air gap (UPC in WA state where I am), but is it possible for me to use the high loop and forgo the ir gap if I do not use my dishwasher? I have lived in my condo for 11 years and have used the dishwasher maybe two times.

I could shut off the water to it and not use it at all if I could also not have to have an air gap in my sink.

Donl may be like one of my first boss. He wouldn't let me fix his dishwasher as long as he had kids living at home who could do the dishes. Around here women guard their garbage disposers like the NRA guards their assault rifles. You don't dare suggest removing the disposer.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    Buy Clear Glass Dishes, use them normally , then wash them in your automatic dishwasher.

Look at the results, Then get back with me.
    Etching the glass has little to do with getting them clean...some dishware will be etched by the harsh automatic dishwasher detergents. It doesn't make it less clean, just that it can turn it ugly. If you have stemware like that, hand wash them, everything else, in the dishwasher, assuming it is rated for being dishwasher safe (not everything is - mostly because of the heat, but some finishes are too delicate for the harsh environment. The better DW have optical sensors on the pump output...they look at the water and stop when it clears up meaning that all the crud has been washed off, filtered out, and it's using now clear water. By no means are all DW created equal, but most of them do a very good job these days. Some DW detergents are better at not etching glass than others.
    Jim DeBruycker

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Swart View Post
    I use Finish which has a Jet Dry tablet built in,
    Hey, Gary, we use the same stuff! Thought it was my own little find. It's noticeably better than the best-known brand, and etches the glassware much less as well.