Troubleshooting our well. Help appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Dfrank

Reaction score
Woke up this morning
Put on my slippers
Walked in the kitchen and the water died.
(apologies to John Prine)

Or our water did to be specific. I'm attempting to troubleshoot the problem and would appreciate any feedback I can get. It was really bloody cold here last night, so I suspected pipes first, but they seem to be fine, just no water getting to them. I checked the pressure tank (Amtrol WX-203). No pressure. Checked the well control (franklin electric 2801074910). No power. Played follow the wire back to the pressure switch (Square D 9013FSG). Power. Next thing I checked is the resistance on the motor (Franklin Electric 214507). Main is running 4.7 Ohms. Start is running 17 Ohms. Both are high. Does this sound like a bad motor or is could there be some kind of blockage that's triggered the low pressure valve? I'm new to playing with this stuff, so if there are any other tests I should do, I'd like to know. Also, is there anything I have to do to recharge the tank once it's been at no pressure or do I not have to worry about this.

I'm really hoping it's not the pump. It's buried under the driveway somewhere and will be a pleasure to get to.

Thanks,

Dan

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Reading the resistance on a inductive load is not really a good test.

Are you getting power out of the pressure switch.

Did you check the capacitors in the control box ?

Dfrank

Reaction score
Thanks, Don. No power is coming out of the pressure switch as that would show up at the control box, right? I haven't checked the capacitors since there was no power getting there. Could it just be that the pressure switch is stuck and not letting power through?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Does the pressure switch have a little lever sticking out the side? If so, it has a low pressure cutoff and the lever has to be held "just so" to close the contacts to energize the control box.

Dfrank

Reaction score
No. Wish it did. I was very happy when I found out about it and very disappointed when I found it didn't have one. It does have a space for one in the housing, but aside from that it's non-existent.

DonL

Reaction score
That switch does not have the low pressure Cut off, as far as I know.

I would try to clean the pressure switch contacts, they should be passing power.

Look and see if the contacts are touching.

P.S. Turning off power First, Pump Breaker needs to be off. I know that you know that, I just had to say it. lol

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
Get a new one, or clear the obstruction on the water connection feeding it.

P.S. In a pinch you can push up on the Plate that holds the springs and make the switch activate.

The switch contacts should be closed.

Last edited:

Dfrank

Reaction score
It's the switch. I can handle that. I'm now saved from visions of digging up the driveway.

Thank the both of you very much. My adrenal glands thank you too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks