What is the proper way on *stubbing* our plumbing RO

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
It's been awhile since I've done a full rip and redone.
In the past, I've just stubbed to the RO location, whether it be toiler, tub filler, showerheads, etc and ran a nipple of appropriate length to get the said head, angle stop, etc to the correct length.

I know there is not a universal answer as every tub/head is different.

For the sink, toilet - I do plan to so just the same....as I generally use chrome nipples / angle valves as these are *exposed* plumbing fixtures.

What is the common ways you PRO's do it for the tub and shower head/shower heads and such.
I would never dare to stick a copper stub with a cap, finish the wall *tile* , and then cut cap and torch to length.
I'm not that good...even with flame protectors....

I HAVE torched a male head to length....and then tiled with the head on, but this also creates a larger RO on the tile than as if it was just pipe that the RO had to be for.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I use compression fittings for the stops. Stub out copper, finish the wall or cabinet, cut the stub off and slide the escutcheon and stop on and snug up.

Shower arms are threaded, so using a drop ear in the wall is fine for that with a nipple.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; What are you using if a customer doesn't even want to see 2" of copper between the escutcheon and the angle stop

If you cut the copper 1 1/2" from the wall, you can't have 2" of visible copper. When you do a tub you have to know what kind of spout is with the faucet. If it is a slip on spout then you stub out copper, if it is a threaded spout, then you use a drop ear adapter elbow with a brass nipple to the spout.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Chef Wong often we find ourselves having to hide bits of ABS or Pex on a job site.

Here in Vancouver one of my favourite plumbing wholesalers carries a line of oversized escutcheons and I have always found one that can replace the supplied piece and allow for a tidy finished look.

Hill Crest Plumbing if your local to Vancouver. On Main Street.

JW

Chefwong

Reaction score
thanks for the feedback sofar

I'm guilty of preferring drop ears/chrome nipples and Kohler angle valves for exposed locations (bathrooms).
To me the provide a finish look and aesthetic appeal that works for me.

Back on topic, tubs and heads....that is TBD based on fixture.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks