Replacing Tub/Shower with Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

dean_a

Reaction score
Kids Bath Plumbing.jpg

Greetings, new guy here. I am a pretty hard-core DIY'er, but smart enough to know when to ask pro advice or get a pro to do the work. Hoping you pros can set me in the right direction.

I am replacing a shower/tub combo in the kids bath with a shower only. The house is a two-story with basement, circa 1989. The kids bath is on the second (top) floor.

I have removed the old tub/shower, and opened enough of the subfloor and ceiling below to get at the drainage system. The picture is a rough sketch of the drain system. Only exception is the shower/tub line was originally 1 1/2", will be replaced with 2" for the shower.

Sinks combine to a 2", which joins the tub/shower (orig. 1 1/2", new 2"). The 2" then joins the 3", downstream from the toilet. No separate vent for the toilet.

My question is about venting. Appears the lav and tub/shower shared a vent (wet-vent?). Is this still appropriate for a shower-only unit? Toilet venting?

Thanks.

Dean in VA

Attachments

• Kids Bath Plumbing.jpg
    Kids Bath Plumbing.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 442

dean_a

Reaction score
OK, been doing some more learning... about wet vents. Would still like an experts opinion.

Seems to me that the wet vent here will be sufficient for the new shower unit.

Kids Bath Sketch 2.jpg

Similar to this example.

wetvent350.jpg

or, this...

bathroom wet vent_typ.jpg

dean_a

Reaction score
Here are some pics of what I am working with. Really, no takers out there to lend some helpful advice?

Kids Bath Plumbing (old).jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's the middle of a workday...not everyone gets MLK day off...

I think you should add a vent for the shower. Now, you can tie into the vent from the sink in the attic and not have a separate roof penetration. The vent should be a lot closer. Code calls for it to be (I think in this situation) within 5'. the order of things is important when wet venting, but I do not know the specifics.

dean_a

Reaction score
Jim, thanks for the reminder about a Federal Holiday. Lucky me, I could actually take the day off to work on this project. Don't get to do that very often.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks