Bad Faucet Seat

Users who are viewing this thread

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Alot of homeowners think they can just replace a washer and that will stop the leaking faucet but some faucets contain a faucet seat. The surface face of the seat should be smooth and flat.

As you can see this seat is not smooth or flat and a flat washer would not have stopped the leaking tub faucet.

hackney_seat1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
In a pinch for a temporary repair this faucet seat could be resurfaced. Its a fairly simple proceedure with common tools.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Its a fairly simple proceedure with common tools.

Most, not some, modern faucets, other than the cartridge cermic disc ones, have a seat. There is no washer which would have worked with that seat. I would not call a faucet seat refacer a "common tool". In fact many "modern" plumbers have never seen or heard of one, and would not know how to use it without damaging the seat further.

pp-faucet-seat.jpg

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
quote; Its a fairly simple proceedure with common tools.

There is no washer which would have worked with that seat. I would not call a faucet seat refacer a "common tool". In fact many "modern" plumbers have never seen or heard of one, and would not know how to use it without damaging the seat further.

Who said anything about using a faucet reseating tool? I can do it with common plumbing/hand tools that any plumber should have on any plumbing truck.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
First you remove the bad brass.....with a file. Every plumber should carry a file on the truck right?

Then you apply a lil bit of flux and some lead free solder. a bit of skill is involved here not to get the seat too hot but hot enough to allow the solder to stick.

hackney_seat2.jpg

You allow that to cool and then use the file to make the seat smooth and flat. Spin the seat as you file to keep the surface of the seat flat.

hackney_seat3.jpg

I did not spend very much time with this seat because I didn't have to use it in a pinch or for an emergency,I had the replacement seat with me. if I had to use the seat I would have spent a lil bit more time dressing it out to smooth finish. I spent about 5 minutes on the seat in the pic from the first pic to this last one.

hackney_seat4.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It was a hypothetical question. How much time would you spend rebuilding the seat if you were charging by the hour? I have dressed seats, but have never used solder to build one up.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
It was a hypothetical question. How much time would you spend rebuilding the seat if you were charging by the hour? I have dressed seats, but have never used solder to build one up.

I had already answered that question,I stated I spent 5 minutes on that seat.

If I were charging by the hour or if I was charging by the job.......it still took 5 minutes. lol

Last edited:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Most service plumbers carry a seat kit on there truck and would replace the seat. Far better job with out making a project out of it.

John

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Most service plumbers carry a seat kit on there truck and would replace the seat. Far better job with out making a project out of it.

John

Do you realize how many different faucets seats are made? LOL.

Goodluck having every seat 100% of the time or being "around the corner" from some where that does.

If you read the entire thread you would understand that I did install a new seat,but it sure is good to know how to repair one in a pinch until one can be ordered if no one had it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks