Help with leak in living room ceiling (which is below bathroom)

Users who are viewing this thread

Jodie Ash

Reaction score
I have a leak in the ceiling below my bathtub/toilet area and I think I have narrowed it down to only happening when we have a shower/bath. The first time it happened we had a bath and there were a few toilet flushes all at the same time then we came downstairs and noticed the dripping ceiling. I had someone come and they cut holes in the ceiling and thought the toilet was the issue so they replaced the wax ring. Then it happened again after a shower/bath/toilet flushing and I googled and went to home depot and they said that the wax ring could have been put on wrong and gave me a foam ring and I replaced that and all was good for the last day and a half until 20 mins ago we had a bath/shower (no toilet flushing) and it leaked again....soooooo now I am thinking it is the tub/shower issue and I saw another forum similar issues and the plumber said it could be the caulking on the floor or shower area or it could be caulking behind the wall of the shower faucett area. SO I checked around my floor and I do have cracked tiles but I really didn't see any real water on the floor after the bath? so is that possible ? Also my faucets seem tight but the shower head piece is not tight however I don't know how easy it is for water to go that way with gravity and all......so before I cut a hole in my bedroom wall to access behind the shower should I try anything else first? Or should I reopen the drywall batch job that was cut open on my living room ceiling? Will that access help me or is my bedroom wall better? Please help I am a single mother with no real help and I am too broke right now to hire someone unless absolutely needed....so if I can do it by myself I will try my best :)

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Open that ceiling hole back up, you're shooting in the dark right now.

It's one of three separate things, supply lines (water), drain lines (soapy water), or waterproofing (caulking, tiling, etc.)...

Jodie Ash

Reaction score
okay so I opened the ceiling back up and ran the water to see if the drips are coming from the drain and nothing so then I filled the tub to the point that it met with the "over flow" cap and then the drips started to come ..... SO I looked up the hole and it was clear that the water is dripping down the side of the tub coming from the the pipe that comes from the tub on the side (which is where the over flow is im pretty sure).....So I am going check the shower since I haven't checked that yet just to make sure but I think the problem is coming from the over flow area.....what do you think?

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Sounds like you got lucky!

What type of tub, and what type of overflow/drain are we working with here?

Jodie Ash

Reaction score
I don't see a name on either thing but it is just your standard white tub with silver fixtures (standard, nothing fancy)....does that tell you anything?

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I'm not talking about colors, I'm talking about the materials.

Is the drain/overflow plastic, copper, brass?
Is the tub metal or acrylic/fibre glass?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks