(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Pump has pressure but no water

DIY Junior Member wellwaterfailure's Avatar

Default Pump has pressure but no water

I'm sure this is a simple question that has been asked but...
    I'm on well water and I just ran out of water. The pump shows proper pressure, the filter is new and there is no blockage in filter or gasket. There is no water in filter gasket as that is as dry as my house. Could I have used all water? Will it fill up again and I need to conserve better in the future? Or do I have a dry well?
    Never had a problem in 3 years and funny thing is I was going to call a well water pump company to check this well as I usually like to be pro-active but to late for that.

Don't have experience with well water as I was always on city water. What should I do and more importantly am I dry for awhile? Also, is i bad to have an empty well that has a pump trying to pump? I know with marine pumps this is a bad situation and will burn out motor.

OH, If all pipes, faucets, etc are empty should I assume the Hot water heater is also empty and I should shut off that breaker? This way the coils won't burn out?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by wellwaterfailure; 12-01-2011 at 11:13 PM.

I would replace the pressure gauge first. There is no way you can have "proper pressure" and not have water flow. See if there is voltage on the outlet side of the pressure switch. If so, then check for amperage to see if the motor is running. And yes, anytime the water is not acting correctly, shut off power to the pump and the water heater.

"The pump shows proper pressure"

I'm wondering if he means that the pressure tank has "proper pressure." I'm certainly no expert but, as valveman said, if you have proper pressure, you have to have water flow unless there is a blockage.