(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Expansion tank location ideas

Hybrid View

Default Expansion tank location ideas

I have a 3week old 66 gallon electric tank installed and at the time the guys didn't know there was a check valve in the whole house filter. I now need to install a expansion tank. I put a gauge on the bottom heater drain valve last night and it went to 115 lbs.The water heater has the cold inlet entering on the bottom and the top cold feed capped off of course.Would there be a problem with installing the expansion tank to the top of the heater in the capped off line?.I think it should work but would like opinions on this.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by bones1; 01-12-2012 at 11:55 AM.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

locate it on the store shelf. Heres an option, but noone around here likes it:

http://www.watts.com/pages/_products...ls.asp?pid=564

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

It would be best to locate the expansion tank so that it doesn't stay hot all the time. Install the expansion tank between the tanks cold water stop valve and the tank. I personally would not screw it directly into the tank. If the expansion tank stays hot all the time the rubber diaphram inside the expansion tank will fail quicker.

If your cold water feed line connects to the bottom of the water heater,you also need an atmospheric vaccum breaker installed above the tank to keep the water heater from siphoning all the water out of the heater if the cold water line is broken and the water turned off.......for example...the main water line to the house breaks and you turn your pump or city water meter off,the water heater will siphon itself.

Thanks for the replies. I was not going to screw it directly on the tank but mount it on a wall about 3 ft away and above the tank. But an expansion tank fed from the top cold port 'dip tube" would function properly if my heater was fed from the bottom ?.

"If your cold water feed line connects to the bottom of the water heater,you also need an atmospheric vacuum breaker installed above the tank to keep the water heater from siphoning all the water out of the heater if the cold water line is broken and the water turned off.......for example...the main water line to the house breaks and you turn your pump or city water meter off,the water heater will siphon itself. "
    No one ever brought that up when the system was installed, go figure.
    Last edited by bones1; 01-12-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bones1 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I was not going to screw it directly on the tank but mount it on a wall about 3 ft away and above the tank. But an expansion tank fed from the top cold port 'dip tube" would function properly if my heater was fed from the bottom ?.

"If your cold water feed line connects to the bottom of the water heater,you also need an atmospheric vacuum breaker installed above the tank to keep the water heater from siphoning all the water out of the heater if the cold water line is broken and the water turned off.......for example...the main water line to the house breaks and you turn your pump or city water meter off,the water heater will siphon itself. "
    No one ever brought that up when the system was installed, go figure.
    The diptube is not serving a function any longer if the cold is fed to the bottom. It can be removed. If you chose not to remove it the expansion tank will still work with the diptube left in the heater. I personally would remove the dip tube if its not being used.

You need the vaccum breaker installed. Install it in the cold water feed LINE and make sure the piping extends above the top of the tank by atleast 6" before screwing the vaccum breaker in.

So an expansion tank fed from the top cold port 'dip tube", that is now capped off , would function properly if my heater was fed from the bottom ?. I just need to know if this is a yes or no before I proceed any further.
    Thanks for the info.