Double Sink double dishwasher garbage disposal dilemma

Users who are viewing this thread

Pettytalk

Reaction score
Hi

I was wondering if someone can help me. I had this configuration installed 2 years ago and since Ive had to snake the main line (in my back yard) at least every 6 months. Im tired aof renting a snake, shouldnt my garbage disposal be on the left side? My drain is on the right side and I noticed with 2 of my family members that on their set up (the same as mine) they have the disposal on the left hand side ( dishwasher on the left hand side as well. I notice that the water backs up a lot on the right side (non disposal side) until I turn on the disposal. Then the water goes down. Should I switch disposal with the non disposal side? Anything you can help would be apprecaited. Im tired of getting blisters from feeding the 50' auger in my backyard drain.

Part time plumber in California

View attachment ~$Doc2.doc

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It should make no difference what side the disposal is on, especially out in the main. If there were any ill effects to how the disposer was mounted, that is just in how the sinks work. Something else must be going on.

Is it an older disposer with worn out chambers? Are folks sending down a lot of rice or potato peelings????

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If your disposer is eight years or older, then you might consider replacing it.

If you are snaking every six months, you also might consider replacing your disposer. An old worn out disposer doesn't chip up the food into small enough bits that will float down a drain.

Left or right makes no difference.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If your main line is getting plugged every few months it is not the disposer causing it. The condition of the disposer is what would cause drain problems, not which side it is installed on. Your link brings up gibberish, so I am not sure how the disposer is connected, but that would also be more important than the side it is in. We install the disposer on the side that makes it easiest to connect to the drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks