"play" in copper pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

rmc115

Reaction score
I have a 40+ year old slab home with copper piping that runs horizontally in a sort of "manifold" between the bathroom and kitchen double walled void. I have been doing some remodeling work in the bathroom, which resulted in accidentally bumping the nipple/valve for the toilet supply. Not very hard, but enough to notice that this pipe has about 1/8 - 3/16" of play.

I'm known to freak out over the smallest things, and with my limited knowledge of plumbing systems, did I compromise the integrity of the copper? The pipe is strapped in the wall with copper clamps every two studs or so. Nothing was bent or changed in any way, just a soft bump with my foot. I'm hoping someone can help me rest my anxiety-driven mind.

Thanks for your help!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Normally this isn't a problem. The only issue you may have is if it moved a lot on its own over the years and wore a hole in the pipe against something harder like a nail or a screw or a clamp.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks