(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: "play" in copper pipe

Default "play" in copper pipe

I have a 40+ year old slab home with copper piping that runs horizontally in a sort of "manifold" between the bathroom and kitchen double walled void. I have been doing some remodeling work in the bathroom, which resulted in accidentally bumping the nipple/valve for the toilet supply. Not very hard, but enough to notice that this pipe has about 1/8 - 3/16" of play.

I'm known to freak out over the smallest things, and with my limited knowledge of plumbing systems, did I compromise the integrity of the copper? The pipe is strapped in the wall with copper clamps every two studs or so. Nothing was bent or changed in any way, just a soft bump with my foot. I'm hoping someone can help me rest my anxiety-driven mind.

Thanks for your help!

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Normally this isn't a problem. The only issue you may have is if it moved a lot on its own over the years and wore a hole in the pipe against something harder like a nail or a screw or a clamp.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014