(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overhead garage door repair - frustration

I revisited this thread not realizing it was an old one that had been revived. As I read the various answers, I began formulating a reply until low and behold, there was my reply...the one I had made when the thread was new. Reading on, I again starting thinking about a response, when again I came upon my own reply. My suggestions haven't change. Don't screw around with garage door springs. It is not unmanly to admit there are somethings you can not DIY safely and/or properly and are best left to the pros. Sure, you can pull the release cord and open the door manually so you can get the car out, but that's far enough.

quote; I want to get a good diagnosis on it, so when I call the repairman I can point to what needs fixed so he doesn't spent more time than needed searching for the problem.

IF he is a "good" door repair mechanic, he DOESN'T need you to tell him how to fix it. AND, there may be a completely different problem than you think you have, regardless of YOUR diagnosis. Tell him what is happening and let him do the diagnosis. IF you tell him what you want done and he does ONLY that, you are going to be unhappy if the problem happens again in a short time and might say it is his fault for not fixing the REAL problem. In my business, I seldom, if ever, listen to what the customer says is the SOLUTION/repair and just ask him/her what the PROBLEM is. Then I find the source of the problem and fix it.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    IF he is a "good" door repair mechanic, he DOESN'T need you to tell him how to fix it. AND, there may be a completely different problem than you think you have, regardless of YOUR diagnosis. Tell him what is happening and let him do the diagnosis. IF you tell him what you want done and he does ONLY that, you are going to be unhappy if the problem happens again in a short time and might say it is his fault for not fixing the REAL problem. In my business, I seldom, if ever, listen to what the customer says is the SOLUTION/repair and just ask him/her what the PROBLEM is. Then I find the source of the problem and fix it.

Very True.

That is Great.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

I wonder if the OP does the same thing when he has a medical problem, or if his car isn't running right? Sadly, lots of folks think they are doing the professional repairman a favor and can save some money if they diagnose the problem. HJ's response is right on the money.

Default It is nice to have a good helper

The funny thing about it is the first thing the doctor asks is "what is wrong with you".

I say if I knew I would not be here.

Doctors are always practicing.

HJ is right on the money, and has a great helper.

Name:  Love Helper.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  9.0 KB

I bet HJ plays Doctor a lot.

quote; I want to get a good diagnosis on it, so when I call the repairman I can point to what needs fixed so he doesn't spent more time than needed searching for the problem.

And what makes you so certain that you WILL make the correct diagnosis? Tell him WHAT is wrong and let him do the diagnosing, he is going to do it anyway if he is a competent repair person.

You just need to call garage door expert technician don't mess up with any thing unless you have knowledge of that thing.

Many times people want to "help me out" by removing the toilet before I arrive. Then the first thing I have to do is reinstall it so I can duplicate their problems. Removing the toilet is seldom the way to cure the proglem. As for the "helper", I saw something on TV the other night to fix her problem. It was a set of "stick ons" which covered the crack above the belt line.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    As for the "helper", I saw something on TV the other night to fix her problem. It was a set of "stick ons" which covered the crack above the belt line.

That would defeat her best skill.

But I guess you would get more work done.

All the warnings about the torsion adjustments are valid. Changing to metal wheels is also a good suggestion.

Garage doors require regular maintenance and periodic adjustments. Best to call a garage door tech - he will do everything much quicker. Money well spent.