Kitchen sink trap on side or center.

Users who are viewing this thread

paul roney

Reaction score
I am moving my kitchen sink, and have the choice of where to locate the new drain in the wall. Are there benefits to locating it in the center, or off to one side? The current installation has a tee under one basin, and the trap extends from there to the wall directly behind it. The other option would be to put the tee between the two basins, and run the trap to the center of the wall behind the sinks. The second method uses one more elbow than the first method. Is one method better than the other?

P.S. I will be attaching a dishwasher on the basin side of the trap, and do not have a garborator. I will be using 1 1/2" ABS to the wall, and 2" drain with 1 1/2" venting.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I would set it up with the trap to the left rather than center. That way in the future if you want a garbage disposal installed it will be easier. Most GDs are under the right hand sink.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Cass said:
I would set it up with the trap to the left rather than center. That way in the future if you want a garbage disposal installed it will be easier. Most GDs are under the right hand sink.

A lot of high/low large/small bowl sinks have the disposer on the left side.

TheZster

Reaction score
Last 4 homes I've owned have the disposal on the right side.....

I might add that the dishwasher, which drains into the disposal - has also been to the right of the sink assembly.....

Last edited:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
trap location

I'd keep off center one way or the other.

Why not ask the lady of the house where she wants the disposal.
Does she work from right to left or left to right.
Where is the refrigerator and stove situated relative to the sink work area.

Just make sure you leave a tee with a plug in it so someday when the drain plugs, you have a ready made opening to clean through.
And you can rinse the snake as you pull it back.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks