Kitchen sink rough in Plan

Users who are viewing this thread

Cruiser

Reaction score
Hi Folks ,

I'm planning a rough in for new kitchen and am currently working on drain layout. The new sink is on an exterior wall that WAS 2x4 studs I furred this out using 2x 6's purely in order to keep the pipes from interfering with cabinets etc. I plan to stub the 2" drain 14" up from slab to allow for disposal etc. In the photo the sink drain on the right is dropping 1/2' per foot ,the run to the nearest drain (lav) is 5 feet and that point there is a 2' vent up through the roof.

1st Question is can I wait this long (5 feet) and drain into this and use this existing vent or should I install a vent where I have my red vertical arrow and hook them up in attic?

I'm also putting a new sink in the lav along that stud wall on the left of photo so my

2nd Question Can I drain this into the same lav drain as above and use that same vent, distance from sink to lav 4 1/2 feet.

3rd If I can drain both into this lav drain at that point am I correct in saying the fitting is called a Double combo Y -1/8?

Thanks

Attachments

• 086.jpg
    086.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 2,474

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
First,
Is the 3" cleanout with 2" pipe out of the top a cleanout and a vent for the toilet? That can change things.

You need a cleanout on a kitchen sink line. You need a cleanout every 135 degrees of change. That would be a 45 and a 90 bend.
You can't do two 90's without a cleanout.

A double fixture fitting is used for two back to back fixtures. However in your case here, I would add the vent where the arrow is.

Cruiser

Reaction score
Hi Terry,

Yes the 3" cleanout with the 2" pipe vent is the toilet, I'm afraid to read you reply to that :)

ps just for clarity the toilet is plumbed where it is in the photo I assume the just vented it there because of the window right behind the toilet

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I assume the just vented it there because of the window right behind the toilet

No, they vented it there because that was the best place to do it. Where is the existing sink? At 1/2" per foot, your sink would be too far from the connection, (and so is the lavatory), so you WOULD need the vent at the red line for the kitchen sink, but it would not take care of the lavatory drain.

Last edited:

Cruiser

Reaction score
Hi Hj,

Not sure which existing sink you refer to but the sink that was in the lav was located 3 feet to the left of where you can see that insulation it's drain went under slab at that point.The existing kitchen sink is 20 feet way and exits under slab at that point.

I'd like to drain both the new lav sink and the new kitchen sink into that 3" drain. The new lav sink will be 41" from the 3" drain and the kitchen sink will be 5 feet from the 3" drain. From what Terry and you have said I need to vent the new kitchen sink where I have my red arrow.

If I can drain both to the 3" drain do I need to vent the new lav sink through the attic before it hits that 3" drain

Attachments

• plumbing website.jpg
    plumbing website.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 2,121
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Use 1/4" per foot, and you will be okay without a lavatory vent. WE have nothing for size reference, so will assume that the sink line is 2", NOT 1 1/2" pipe. I hope you caught Terry's correction to your question, namely, that it is NOT a double combo, but rather a "back to back fixture fitting". They LOOK similar but are two completely different fittings.

Last edited:

Cruiser

Reaction score
Hj,

Thank you for your answer. My plan therefore

* Slope lav sink 1/4" per foot to the 3" drain... no vent needed
* I need a vent on the 2" drain from the new kitchen sink where the arrow is, and must join the other vent in the attic to exit the house.
* I need to get a back to back fixture for the connection

Off I go :)

Cruiser

Reaction score
Folks I'm stuck on something...in order to vent vertical from that horizontal drain at that red arrow what is the correct fitting I should use? I believe it to be 'y' and not a santee nor vent 't' but want to be sure.

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks