?chlorine tablet feeder for well system with high Fe and low pH?

Users who are viewing this thread

bhlyw

Reaction score
Hi, we have ~0.5ppm organic iron and <4 hardness in our well in northeastern Ohio. Its a low-flow well that produces <10 gallons per hour. There are only 2 of us and we are pretty frugal with water so the volume of water is acceptable but the liquid chlorinator we have is giving us fits. We're looking for a simpler solution and wonder if a solid pellet chlorine feeder would work for our situation. We are gone often and sometimes for several days at a time so monitoring and maintenance is difficult.

We have a 250' well (well storage is ~100gal) with submerged 3/4 hp pump feeding into a 275 gal storage tank. We are currently adding liquid chlorine via a peristaltic pump (built in 1990ish) just as the water enters the basement, then filtering with a cartridge sediment filter just before the water enters the storage tank. After the storage tank we have an inline pump to a REACTR VS model CLRF15VS 2 stage treatment system, an 80 gal pressure tank and then a whole-house sediment/iron cartridge filter.

When the peri-pump chlorinator is working correctly, this set-up works fine but recently the peri-pump has been less than reliable. It doesn't seem to have enough power to add the chlorine into the water stream so we've been having to put chlorine pellets into the storage tank to keep the chlorine level high enough to exchange the organic iron so it can be filtered out. This in turn reduces the functionality of the pre-storage filter so the whole system doesn't work efficiently. Yes, its an old peri-pump and we could just replace it with a new one but we're hoping to fine a better,lower maintenance solution.

I found a Clean Water Systems Model 400 Chemical Feeder on line that can be fit up for variable water flow and wonder if this would work as a replacement for the peri-pump for our situation? Or do any of you professionals have ideas?

Thanx!

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hi, we have ~0.5ppm organic iron and <4 hardness in our well in northeastern Ohio. Its a low-flow well that produces <10 gallons per hour. There are only 2 of us and we are pretty frugal with water so the volume of water is acceptable but the liquid chlorinator we have is giving us fits. We're looking for a simpler solution and wonder if a solid pellet chlorine feeder would work for our situation. We are gone often and sometimes for several days at a time so monitoring and maintenance is difficult.

We have a 250' well (well storage is ~100gal) with submerged 3/4 hp pump feeding into a 275 gal storage tank. We are currently adding liquid chlorine via a peristaltic pump (built in 1990ish) just as the water enters the basement, then filtering with a cartridge sediment filter just before the water enters the storage tank. After the storage tank we have an inline pump to a REACTR VS model CLRF15VS 2 stage treatment system, an 80 gal pressure tank and then a whole-house sediment/iron cartridge filter.

When the peri-pump chlorinator is working correctly, this set-up works fine but recently the peri-pump has been less than reliable. It doesn't seem to have enough power to add the chlorine into the water stream so we've been having to put chlorine pellets into the storage tank to keep the chlorine level high enough to exchange the organic iron so it can be filtered out. This in turn reduces the functionality of the pre-storage filter so the whole system doesn't work efficiently. Yes, its an old peri-pump and we could just replace it with a new one but we're hoping to fine a better,lower maintenance solution.

I found a Clean Water Systems Model 400 Chemical Feeder on line that can be fit up for variable water flow and wonder if this would work as a replacement for the peri-pump for our situation? Or do any of you professionals have ideas?

Thanx!

I am no expert on the system that you have but,

A lot of the chlorine tablets are not made for potable water. Septic system or other types of tablets use a different formula.

Sounds like your chlorine injector is not working properly. I guess that you already know that.

Be Careful.

Last edited:

bhlyw

Reaction score
I am no expert on the system that you have but,

A lot of the chlorine tablets are not made for potable water. Septic system or other types of tablets use a different formula.

Sounds like your chlorine injector is not working properly. I guess that you already know that.

Be Careful.

Yes, we do know the peri-pump is not working correctly...! We don't like chlorine at all but for organic Fe that's about all you can do to remove it. You can't filter it out if its in still in solution - you've got to oxidize it first. With the tablets we have a bit better selection on-line for a more pure pellet. With liquid bleach there is no option but what you can buy at the grocery and that is certainly not made for consumption! And most of it has fragrance and all sorts of stuff added because its usually used for laundry. Its a no-win problem but it is what it is.

Thanx!

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
It sounds like you have it under control for the most part.

I use Chlorine when I do not want any additives, Bleach has to many flavors and none of them taste good.

Good luck on your project.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks