Shower and Toilet Venting Question

Users who are viewing this thread

David1980

Reaction score
I have spent probably 6-8 hours reading through this forum and other sites in an effort to figure out the correct way to run the waste lines for a bathroom remodel. Hopefully, someone here can tell me if I have it right or not!

Basically, I need to drain a new shower into an existing toilet waste. The toilet waste is 3" and then changes to a 2" vent running up to the roof. My first thought was to simply run a 2" drain for the shower into the 2" toilet vent, which is located above the toilet connection. It seems though that the correct way to do it might be to connect the shower drain below the spot where the toilet connects. I have attached two rough drawings. They are not to scale and do not show the fittings...I'm just trying to get an idea of how to do the layout. I appreciate any help! bathroom drain1.jpgbathroom drain2.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The trap arm on the shower needs to be nearly level before the vent.
You are allowed 1/4" per foot grade, up to five feet before it's vented with the Uniform Plumbing Code, which is used in Oregon.
Therefor, it would be the top drawing.

A wet vent needs to be a minimum of 2", which you have now as the toilet vent.

dwv_b1.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The shower connection ABOVE the toilet is correct. Putting it below the toilet connection would require that you install a vent on the shower drain line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks