hairline toilet cracket

Users who are viewing this thread

mlnave

Reaction score
My plumber found a hairline crack around the inside of my 6-year-old toilet bowl. He declared it too dangerous, saying it might break up under my weight
(which is a normal weight, by the way). Should I replace it immediately, as he suggests, or is he being an alarmist without reason? Thank you.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Not knowing where the crack is it is or where it starts and ends or how long it is makes it hard to say. Have you used this plumber in the past?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Was he looking for the source of a leak? Hairline cracks do happen in porcelain. It is usually a manufacturing defect. If there really is a crack ( if he can see it you should be able to see it) and it has developed since the toilet is new, it may be the result of an impact of some type.

It may have been there forever, and it may be OK forever. But if you can actually see a crack ( as opposed to a scratch) then in the interest of utmost safety , I would probably replace it. A catastrophic failure of a toilet ( bowl or tank) , with or without someone sitting on it at the time, is a big problem. So , while this would be rare, I might err on the side of caution. If you are suspicious of the plumber, just send him away and have someone else come in and do the new toilet.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the toilet has cracks, it should be replaced.

Cracks only get bigger, and could fail at any time.

Broken porcelain is very sharp, I can show you my 3" cut with stiches on my right arm from getting too close to a broken toilet.

If the bowl is leaking below onto the floor, it could be causing damage there too.

DOES HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE COVER WATER DAMAGE FROM LEAKING PLUMBING?
Homeowners insurance may help cover damage caused by leaking plumbing if the leak is sudden and accidental, such as if a washing machine supply hose suddenly breaks or a pipe bursts. However, homeowners insurance does not cover damage resulting from poor maintenance. So, if damage results after you fail to repair a leaky toilet, for example, homeowners insurance likely will not pay for repairs.
Allstate Insurance

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks