(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a plumber installed this for me -- was it done properly?

I would say for the price that you paid, It was a job well done...
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    I am not sure WHY he used the rubber coupling when all he had to do was solder a stub of copper into the tee. He did a "quick and dirty" installation, but I am sure he was the cheapest "plumber" you talked to. Most plumbers are also sewer cleaners. Few "sewer cleaners" are plumbers.
    I would bet because he didn't have the copper or the fitting and it was a whole lot easier and cheaper to hack what he hacked.

And this was done in Massachusetts which further confirms my opinion regarding the lack of supervision of Mass plumbers. The license in Mass is a joke in most areas because they don't have near enough inspectors to check on things
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Here's a follow up. I emailed the plumber today and told him that I showed a picture of the installation to a plumber (I didn't say 'multiple plumbers on the internet'). I said that my main concern at this point is the compression fittings that won't be accessible. He emailed back stating that it is not a code violation and that there is no issue but that he would change them out for me. Then a few minutes later he emailed me again stating that he looked in his code book and whoops, made a "stupid mistake" as he put it. He is telling me that he will make right on this and wants me to be satisfied. To his credit, he may not be competent, or a plumber, but he seems to be upstanding in this sense. Another thing that made me question his competence when he was here was that he recommended that I remove the rigid metal dryer vent (near the floor) and replace it with an ABS pipe that goes has three 90 degree bends (going up the wall, across, and then down the other wall). My understanding is that ABS is not good to use for the dryer vent, and that multiple bends are not good. He told me that if I got the parts, he would help me install it without charging. Again, my take is that this is a bad idea.
    What do you guys think?

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ABS pipe burns pretty good. I would never run a dryer vent in material that melts and burns.

I believe any building code prohibits plastic pipe for dryers. They don't even allow the vinyl flex lines, which used to be common for dryer hook ups. This is building code, not plumbing code.

And HOW would he connect a 4" dryer "hose" to a 4" line of any material? 4" metal vent pipe would work, but not any Sch. 40 material.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Make sure that you have some spare Dryer Heating Elements on hand, You will need them.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

Your "plumber" is a disaster waiting to happen. I would not let him back into my house.