Tank air pressure for non bladder water tank

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Do you have a pressure gauge on the tank? I put in a nipple and a Tee so that I can have both a gauge and a schrader valve to use with my compressor. Half a century ago, I used a bicycle pump to add air to the tank. The tank was tucked under the stair landing and there was no room to stand up so I had to work the bicycle pump sideways. Remember it like it was yesterday.

No gauge on the tank. Mine is mounted on the Pressure Regulator that controls the jet pressure.

When the pump is off , I would think that it is reading the tank pressure.

I could add another meter, but would have to worry about it freezing.

I have a heat tape to keep the regulator and Pressure switch from freezing.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I could add another meter, but would have to worry about it freezing...

If you mount it high enough on the tank, it will be full of air so freezing would not be a problem unless you waterlog the tank. I have 3 gauges. My EPS15/99 shows the pressure via LED segment display, I have a gauge Tee'd off the switch, and I have a gauge Tee'd off the schrader at the top of the tank. All 3 read different. Chinese quality at its best.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
There is no such thing as "pre-pressurizing a non-bladder tank, because there is no way to keep the air in it, and the "pressure" will ALWAYS be the same as the water pressure at that moment. The best you can do is turn the pump on, and then when the tank is full, let a faucet "drip" slowly so it does not drop the system pressure too quickly. Then inject air into the tank to force the water level down to the desired point, (it will have to be by "guess" unless you have a glass sight gauge to show the water level). Then close the faucet.

Not so. But its a bit of an art to do a pre pressure with the water at the right level. AND count on it going down daily as the air absorbs into the water. If you have a 40 to 60 switch, and pressure to 35, you have about the same capacity as a bladder tank with its enormous draw down for cheap. the difference is the absorbtion and the fact that you loose all the air when the power goes out. Do it - tested it. works.

My understanding is there are two types of AVC. One style only lets air out and works in conjunction with a submersible and a bleeder/snifter. The other kind takes air in and works with a piston or jet pump...

But that is quite true. The float release is designed for submersibles.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks