shower mixing valves intentionally restricted?

Users who are viewing this thread

butleraudio

Reaction score
Problem solved, I hope. I have purchased a Kohler K-303-K-NA valve and the appropriate handles. This is a three handle 1/2" mix T, 1/4 turn ceramic stems, and push pull diverter. This unit is rated at 10gpm. So we'll see. I will post a follow up once installed.
thanks all, butleraudio

butleraudio

Reaction score
Kohler SAYS that this valve will do 10 gpm at 45psi, however, my local plumber does not like Kohler valves...says they wear out to fast and are expensive to replace parts. The second issue I can maybe live with.

So far, I have not found a 3 handled 1/2" valve (mixT) with that kind of gpm rating in another brand. Do any of you have an opinion of Kohler valves?

Also, what should be the going rate to remove existing valve and cut in the new one...valve only (tub fill and shower riser remain). It's all 1/2" and the holes line up. And yes, there is an access panel.
Thanks, butleraudio

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A plumber is ethically required to do this to code...a three-handle device is not to code. WIll you find someone that will do it, probably, there are a bunch of them whose ethics may not meet standards. You'll find lots more choices in code approved valves. With good access, it's probably not more than a couple hour job...depending on local rates, you should be able to make a guess yourself.

Kohler makes some nice stuff, but they are IMHO, saturated with NIH syndrom and I can do it better freaks. As a result, their parts book is HUGE, since many things don't stick around for long. This can make it difficult to find the proper part, and may be impossible if you didn't save the original instructions and diagrams with part numbers. This, as opposed to say Delta, that uses a few internal designs and parts are readily available both OEM and aftermarket (since there's such a large quantity out there it makes it reasonable for an aftermarket supplier to take notice and provide parts).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks