States like California are oulawing the use of brass in water wells?

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Are you kidding!! They would have to lay off about 75% of the police force, law officials, and completely do away with DEA, Border Patrol, and many other agencies.

Ja, but many of them will go to work for the IRS. Think of the revenue potential and all the former criminals that are not accustomed to paying taxes.

The former ATF will need to be expanded as well. Tobacco has slipped to last place and drugs will get top billing so they'll just rename it to DAFT.

As for emptying the jails, that won't happen. They will still need to steal to support their habit which will have gotten more expensive with the taxes, so instead of the drug users copping a plea to rat out the dealers, they will finally do the time they deserve. Think of all the lead, copper, and brass they will steal.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Prolly not for long... lots of concern for lead bird shot sitting on the bottom of lakes. There are specialty lead reclaimers going around to shooting ranges to clean them up.

If you have dissasembled many ducks or geese, you will notice they have a gizzard, which is a grinder/cuisinart that takes lead into a phase that poisons them and you and I that eat them. Virtually all wildlife ranges outlawed lead shot years ago, and now its copper coated steel, or perhaps lead with a copper or steel coating.

Seems like copper soft tube with a lead outer coating would be a 100 year pipe without all the controversy.

BUt indeed, lead poisoned Rome and we should be cautious about it - not to the extent of california's idiotic tagging and content laws.

And those laid off DEA guys can be used to open and confiscate 1 out of every 3 Asian containers at the ports filled with toxic waste and bogus pipe fittings.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
BUt indeed, lead poisoned Rome...
Ja, but they were daft enough to use it as a sweetener, not just for plumbing.

I still remember in some old rental units how drawing a glass of water that had sat in the lead pipes overnight would taste sweet.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Besides as a sweetener, the Romans also used lead as a preservative in their wine, and made drinking cups out of it. I don't think there is any argument that Rome was poisoned by lead. But the lead didn't come from the plumbing, and they had all lead pipes. If all lead pipe didn't cause lead contamination, then California is way off base with their new regulations, and the Federal government is not very smart to be following California’s example. The new laws from California and the Feds will do nothing except increase the cost and decrease the quality of everything we buy.

It is not about saving us from lead poisoning anyway. It is all about making us think they are trying to save us, so they can add more regulations, more government jobs, and have more control of the masses. They would never let a perfectly good disaster go to waste. No reason to let a misunderstanding by the public to go to waste either. :(

Ballvalve

Reaction score
The main source of toxic results with lead are from all the garbage in the dollar stores. Generally cast from old circuit boards melted on hibachi's in back alley India and China - by kids.

If any politicians had cajones, 1 in 3 containers at the ports would be sent back. that would get their attention, and now we can re-open our toy factories run by people with ethics and morals. -From scrap, correctly processed.

My cousin in Banska Bystrica, SR, site of a monstrous lead antimony mine inthe communist era, worked underground for years until he started to go down, then they kindly moved him to the smelter and battery making plant, where he ended as a human monster, fingers frozen in backwards angles, spine bent like a pretzel, mad as a bag of hammers, and confined to screaming in a bed. They gave him $29 a month for his service to the state.

How the voters with the braided armpit hair in California allowed that lead law to poison our economy is a sad mystery. A valve and a hose barb do not Rome make. But that said, you can machine brass without lead, as you can make cars that get 60 miles to the gallon.

Traveller

Reaction score
And here I thought I was so clever replacing all the lead soldered copper pipe in my old place with plastic Pex and now I find out there's lead in the brass Pex fittings????

I give up....

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Probably the new lead free version. They ship them to california. And here we are all walking around with a mouth full of mercury!

Hey - thats okay for us all. Politics have no brains.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks