(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: States like California are oulawing the use of brass in water wells?

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    Normally I bitch about this kind of crap but since I sell and install stuff I don't see anything but a little more profit on my end.
    Maybe, but HD will continue to sell brass fittings and DIYers will find you too costly and either DIY or find someone that doesn't care about regulations.

DIYers are still buying tub fillers without pressure balance and someone is still plumbing them in.

Yes they will and therein lies the conundrum. Hell, HD and Lowes are selling flexible CSST gas piping to home owners. They don't give a crap as long as there's money to be made.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

We have gone mad as a nation with these laws to 'protect' us. There is absolutely NO inspection of chinese or asian brass fittings filled containers coming off the boats by the hundreds. And the issue is not only lead, but the specs that cause leaks and millions of dollars and man hours of lost time fixing this garbage. But the fed are busy stopping the few guys that really want to WORK from jumping the border at a cost of billions, and pulling up pot plants with helicopters at 800$ an hour. Plus the clowns on the ground at 80$an hour with benefits. They should be at the port opening containers destined for home-sabotage stores and the dollar stores.

All then they could legalize pot and tax it and make a fortune on it. Including cocaine, Which was legal, including opium and heroin up until about 1906. No one much abuses legal drugs, takes the fun out of it. And would do it either way in any case.
    Last edited by ballvalve; 01-01-2012 at 10:51 PM.

As bad as the economy is and as corrupt as the government is one would think it would be in their best interest to legalize all drugs to take everyone's mind off things for awhile
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    As bad as the economy is and as corrupt as the government is one would think it would be in their best interest to legalize all drugs to take everyone's mind off things for awhile
    Are you kidding!! They would have to lay off about 75% of the police force, law officials, and completely do away with DEA, Border Patrol, and many other agencies. In a time when government jobs are the only game in town, that would be terrible. Also people who have a drug problem would be able to ask for help without getting arrested! That would even more overwhelm our new health care system. Plus we would have to let out about 80% of the people in jail, and there aren’t enough jobs for the rest of us already. No, we need to keep incarcerating as many people as possible for as many stupid reasons as possible. (except me!) Think Jobs!

Quote Originally Posted by valveman View Post
    Are you kidding!! They would have to lay off about 75% of the police force, law officials, and completely do away with DEA, Border Patrol, and many other agencies.
    Ja, but many of them will go to work for the IRS. Think of the revenue potential and all the former criminals that are not accustomed to paying taxes.

The former ATF will need to be expanded as well. Tobacco has slipped to last place and drugs will get top billing so they'll just rename it to DAFT.

As for emptying the jails, that won't happen. They will still need to steal to support their habit which will have gotten more expensive with the taxes, so instead of the drug users copping a plea to rat out the dealers, they will finally do the time they deserve. Think of all the lead, copper, and brass they will steal.

Quote Originally Posted by LLigetfa View Post
    Prolly not for long... lots of concern for lead bird shot sitting on the bottom of lakes. There are specialty lead reclaimers going around to shooting ranges to clean them up.
    If you have dissasembled many ducks or geese, you will notice they have a gizzard, which is a grinder/cuisinart that takes lead into a phase that poisons them and you and I that eat them. Virtually all wildlife ranges outlawed lead shot years ago, and now its copper coated steel, or perhaps lead with a copper or steel coating.

Seems like copper soft tube with a lead outer coating would be a 100 year pipe without all the controversy.

BUt indeed, lead poisoned Rome and we should be cautious about it - not to the extent of california's idiotic tagging and content laws.

And those laid off DEA guys can be used to open and confiscate 1 out of every 3 Asian containers at the ports filled with toxic waste and bogus pipe fittings.
    Last edited by ballvalve; 01-02-2012 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ballvalve View Post
    BUt indeed, lead poisoned Rome...
    Ja, but they were daft enough to use it as a sweetener, not just for plumbing.

I still remember in some old rental units how drawing a glass of water that had sat in the lead pipes overnight would taste sweet.

Besides as a sweetener, the Romans also used lead as a preservative in their wine, and made drinking cups out of it. I don't think there is any argument that Rome was poisoned by lead. But the lead didn't come from the plumbing, and they had all lead pipes. If all lead pipe didn't cause lead contamination, then California is way off base with their new regulations, and the Federal government is not very smart to be following California’s example. The new laws from California and the Feds will do nothing except increase the cost and decrease the quality of everything we buy.

It is not about saving us from lead poisoning anyway. It is all about making us think they are trying to save us, so they can add more regulations, more government jobs, and have more control of the masses. They would never let a perfectly good disaster go to waste. No reason to let a misunderstanding by the public to go to waste either.

The main source of toxic results with lead are from all the garbage in the dollar stores. Generally cast from old circuit boards melted on hibachi's in back alley India and China - by kids.

If any politicians had cajones, 1 in 3 containers at the ports would be sent back. that would get their attention, and now we can re-open our toy factories run by people with ethics and morals. -From scrap, correctly processed.

My cousin in Banska Bystrica, SR, site of a monstrous lead antimony mine inthe communist era, worked underground for years until he started to go down, then they kindly moved him to the smelter and battery making plant, where he ended as a human monster, fingers frozen in backwards angles, spine bent like a pretzel, mad as a bag of hammers, and confined to screaming in a bed. They gave him $29 a month for his service to the state.

How the voters with the braided armpit hair in California allowed that lead law to poison our economy is a sad mystery. A valve and a hose barb do not Rome make. But that said, you can machine brass without lead, as you can make cars that get 60 miles to the gallon.

And here I thought I was so clever replacing all the lead soldered copper pipe in my old place with plastic Pex and now I find out there's lead in the brass Pex fittings????

I give up....

Probably the new lead free version. They ship them to california. And here we are all walking around with a mouth full of mercury!

Hey - thats okay for us all. Politics have no brains.