galvanized repipe to PEX

Users who are viewing this thread

kadimkris

Reaction score
So my house has very old galvanized water pipe. Had to turn off water a year ago and when It was turned back on I had no cold water in the bathroom. the sludge in the pipe was held back due to the water force. needless to say I had to replace some pipe. the size of the hole that of the feed pipe was ¼ or less due to build up. I used PEX and push on connectors to install a new water heater yesterday (relocation) . was so easy with pex. so I want to replace the old galvanized as far back as I can get hopefully to the water main. Would ¾ PEX be okay? I know it’s ID is smaller than copper and that what the charts go off of. Here is what I had in mind: water lines.jpg*note if I can’t get all the way to the water main can I cut the galvanized and use a compression fitting or something to go to PEX. *note would the threads of the galvanized pipe still be good after all this years?

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you use a manifold the way you indicate, then 3/4" PEX will be adequate. You will have a hard, if not impossible, time finding a compression fitting which will fit PEX AND galvanized steel pipe. The threads will still be good if they have not rusted through from the inside.

kadimkris

Reaction score
I was thinking shark bite if that would work. if not i could do galvanized to a copper stub or galvanized to threaded galvanized stub. that is if i can use a compression fitting on galvanized. sure its half a$$ but that pipe in the house has to go, its bad real bad.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you have threads left on the galvanized, I'd consider a coupler to allow you to connect to the pex. I don't think the OD of galvanized would be compatible with a Sharkbite using a compression fitting. they do make an adapter specifically for this http://www.cashacme.com/prod_sharkbite_pushfit.php to go from the threaded galvanized to a push on pex.

Pipewrench

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can cut the galvanized and put a dresser coupling on it. Come out the other side of the dresser with a galvanized nipple and put a pex female adapter on and your ready to go to pex. Shark bites do not fit galvanized pipe. If the threads on the galvanized has been under ground for long I wouldn't trust it to tie on to.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks