Permanently Remove Cast Iron Baseboard Radiator

Users who are viewing this thread

rmoreira167

Reaction score
Hi there just a quick question as to removing a cast iron baseboard radiator. I have cast iron baseboard heaters throughout my home including in my living room where i have radiators on 3 of the 4 walls which seems excessive as the room gets quite warm. I want to remove the cast iron radiator from one of the walls and put in a vent free gas fireplace there, mostly for aesthetics as I said the room gets quite warm as is. It would also give me the opportunity to lower the heat throughout the rest of the house and use the fireplace when the majority of time is going to be spent in the living room. As I am trying to save a little money as I am obviously going to have to pay someone to come in and install gas to the area, my question is this, how do i remove the radiator. I assume I am basically going to shut the system off and bleed it and then cut the pipe going into the radiator and the return at the other end, remove the radiator, and then couple the two pipes i have just cut down in the basement so the system is complete again? Does that sound about right. Also how is the radiator fastened to the wall, i assume there have got to be screws fastening it to the wall. My radiators look like this one i found depicted elsewhere on the website.
radiator.jpg

Also as far as the radiator goes, from looking around on the internet I see cast iron baseboard radiators are quite pricey, should I store the radiator in case something happens to other radiators in the house, it's an 8ft section? Or just junk it/give it away? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You do connect the two lines back together. It is held to the wall with a screw through the small square metal piece in the slot of the radiator. It is probably four 2' pieces rather than one 8' one, so save it for possible repairs someday.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
If it's a one pipe or two pipe system they can be caped. If it's a loop system (which I doubt) they must be tied back together.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks