Toilet Clearance in Remodeled Attic

Users who are viewing this thread

Ejacobson

Reaction score
I'm expanding an attic bathroom by moving a wall further towards a roof. To make room for some other requirements, I need to relocate the toilet to the wall below the slanted roof-ceiling. My plumber is concerned that I'm going to move the wall back too far to leave enough clearance above the toilet (i.e., people may bump their heads on the slanted ceiling below the roof as they get on/off toilet).

On the other hand, I feel like installing the toilet below a low ceiling is a good use of the low space. Can anyone provide any standards or rules I should use for how much clearance I actually need above the toilet?

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

How tall are you when you sit on the toilet. If you always remember to lean forward when getting up off the toilet, then you can put the ceiling above where your head would be. It might not work for other people who do not realize that they cannot just stand upright. In other words, it might not be the best idea you have ever had.

Last edited:

Ejacobson

Reaction score
hj,

You're right. It's not the best idea I've ever had. However, I've been practicing getting on/off toilets and observing my behavior. It appears that standing directly over a toilet (stradling the seat) is not something people do. I'm confident it will work fine for my wife and I.

I'm mostly concerned about resale value. Of course I'm designing the bathroom for my wife and I, but I can't get rid of the vision in my head where someday when we sell the house, the potential buyers say "Look where they put the toilet. What were they thinking?!".

Thanks for your boost of confidence.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks