Water heater Removal, Up basement stairs

Users who are viewing this thread

Water Heater Cart

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am trying to find out the best way to remove a water heater from a basement. I would like recommendations on what type of hand truck (dolly) would work the best. I would probably want one with stair climbing capabilities and a strap to secure the water heater. I have seen the power ones but they run $1,800 or more, that is too much. I would probably want to spend $400 max. The base would need to be large enough to support the bottom properly. Also I would like something that does not rust (water heaters usually leak water). And finally, I would like to make sure that the stair climber part does not damage say wood floors (usually top step) or any good ideas on a covering that doesn't move. If you have any recommendations or could tell me what you prefer/use that would be great. Also pictures or links would be helpful. Has anyone ever cut one out and hauled it in pieces; would you do it again? Thank you everybody for your help. I am new at posting here.

Thanks again,

Last edited by a moderator:

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
i had two people carry the one out of my basement. no need for a dolly. you can pay someone like a moving company or something the minimum rate they charge and have them move it for you, it will be under $400 by a long shot. more like $150. are you bringing a new one in? i kept mine in the box and slid it down the stairs, gently. worked great.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Has anyone ever cut one out and hauled it in pieces; would you do it again?

Only when someone installed a furnace or something in front of so there was no room to get it out. It is a time consuming, MESSY, job, and takes about 2 or 3 hours to do it. There are hand trucks with "slider rails" behind the wheels to take it up and down stairs, but, they still require a lot of effor to pull a water heater UP the stairs, so you should have a second person to help "lift it" up the risers. Motorized ones are "nice" but expensive and take up a lot of room in the truck.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
what a bunch of total wimps

you can buy a refregerator truck for about 190.. with the straps
and the ratchet , also it has the brakes at the bottom... the ones
we have are rated for 800 lbs..

as far as the unit dripping, you put a towell on the bottom plate
then set the heater on top of the towell, it works like a diaper...
but you cant fool around all day getting it u p the stairs

we carry out an average of 3 a day....it keeps you in shape.

you guys are all a bunch of wimps :eek:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
you guys are all a bunch of wimps :eek:
LOL
I was in a rental once where the old HWT was so heavy from lime scale that they just left it where it stood and ran the pipes over to the new one. The old one was the kind with the three cast iron legs. My son was playing in the basement and managed to tip it over by climbing up on it. It was a miracle he wasn't killed.

I asked the landlord to take it away and he sent over two real big guys to carry it out of the basement. I was worried that the weight of the tank and the two burly guys would break the stairs. Those guys weren't wimps.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like to use the bag that comes with the new water heater, I pull it under the bottom carefully so its sitting in it then take it out. Havn't had one leak yet.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
LOL
I was in a rental once where the old HWT was so heavy from lime scale that they just left it where it stood and ran the pipes over to the new one. The old one was the kind with the three cast iron legs. My son was playing in the basement and managed to tip it over by climbing up on it. It was a miracle he wasn't killed.

I asked the landlord to take it away and he sent over two real big guys to carry it out of the basement. I was worried that the weight of the tank and the two burly guys would break the stairs. Those guys weren't wimps.

You sure it wasn't copper or brass, you could have got a couple friends to help you and cashed it in for beer!

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
To change one water heater in ten years, use a hand dolly and UNCLE JOE.

Other than that, look at Wolf WH carrier. $369+tx out the door. You will still need uncle Joe.
Or the Up Cart, with multiple wheels. $109+tx. Solo operation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks