(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaking Grohe model 34-436.

Hybrid View

Default Leaking Grohe model 34-436.

Leaking Grohe model 34-436.
    I purchased and installed part 47-111, (thermo element cartridge ($165.00)) based on my local plumbing store recommendation that this should fix a very consistent drip from my Grohe shower faucet. My local plumbing store is normally very reliable but I do not think they know Grohe faucets very well so I am turning to this forum for advice.
    While I had the facet disassembled I cleaned and lubricated everything.
    I believe my problem may be one of the stop valves. Both of them had some green corrosion which I cleaned off. I also lubricated the o rings. Before I spend any more money and take the time to tear apart the faucet again does anyone have any experience and advice? Perhaps I am missing an adjustment that would stop the leak?
    Last edited by Terry; 04-26-2011 at 06:51 PM.

I am not familiar with Grohe showers. However, I looked at the diagram for your valve on their website. It appears that the thermoelement part 47-111 is just that...the temperature control. For the faucet to drip, water has to be getting TO the thermoelement when it should not be. It looks like the "drip" would be caused by the stop valves ( hot or cold) , items 9 on the diagram, part number 08-355 ( 2 pcs, hot side and cold side).
    However, don't go out and buy more parts on my say-so. I am just looking at a diagram for a valve I don't have my hands on. Get someone to look at it in person. Or possibly call Grohe customer service. If they are good, they can help you troubleshoot.

Thank you Jimbo. I agree with your assesment.
    It is very difficult not only find but to get someone to visit the house to repair a leaky faucet.
    I'll buy the parts and have another go at it. I can hear the drip at night, it is water torture!
    Thank you for your input.

Default Leak fixed

Replacing the stop valves stopped the leak.

Default Leaking Grohe model 34-436 - I've the same problem

I am a novice when it comes to plumbing. I have the same leaky grohe shower and I wonder if I should attempt the same fix or get a grohe-aware plumber.

Any advice is appreciated.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Call Grohe or e-mail them. I had a faucet that leaked only when the handle was left in a particular position (single handle type). They sent me a new cartridge for free...worth asking, anyways.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default Groche 34436 (weak water flow)

I bump into this thread while researching how to trouble shoot a recently developed weak water flow from a grohe 34436 valve. I have eleminated any blockage in the hand shower head and flex host. One noticable symptom is that adjusting temperature may result in a temporary increase in water flow.

User "lambtron"'s 10-05-2006 posting referenced a stop valve filter. Where is such filter located?

Currently, I have disassemble sufficient parts to expose the frontal wax cartridge, and shut off the hot/cold service stops.
    What is a safe way to take out the wax cartridge?

Below are the URLs to the valve schematics and part list:
    http://db.grohecatalog.com/upload/p_explo/E34436US.jpg
    http://db.grohecatalog.com/upload/p_spare/sp34436.gif

Thanks in advance.

Default Groche 34436 (weak water flow) - resolved

After some tinkering, I was able to access the stop valve, and find that the
    filter is a piece of wire mesh wrapped around the middle of the valve stem.
    The filter is cloaked with debris. After cleaning the filter and flushing the
    valve, the water flow is backed to normal.

The comments in this forum has been extremely helpful.
    Thanks again.

Default Grohe Stop Valve

Hi, this is my first try at using a forum. I happened to run into this string and was glad to read that you have been able to fix the problem of low water pressure. I am having the same problem. I have taken the front of the valve off but can't figure out how to take the stop valves out to clean the filter. I took out the two slotted screws which exposed the ends of shafts Iin the stop valves) that can be rotated clockwise and counter clockwise as well. these shafts are held in place with flanged hex nuts which I cannot access with a wrench to unscrew and the shafts stick out too far to put a socket on these nuts. i would really appreciate any details that you can provide as to how you took the stop valves out and also if any special tools were needed.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

KT444,
    I happen to have a socket deep enough to use the wrench to take out the stope valve.

Default Grohe Valve maintenance

Thank you for the response. I did get a deep well socket and cleaned out the stop valve. I tried the shower and the pressure is great. However, when I tried to put the valve back together, a strong stream of water comes out of the stop valve split screws. I was wondering if you have an idea as to what I am doing wrong. Also, I don't understand why there are holes in the screw caps for water to come out since it can only go into the wall.
    Thanks for your help.

Default Grohe 34-436

I've had this for several years now. When it first started leaking, I just tried replacing the o-rings. It stopped the leak, but all I could get was hot water.

The only thing that fixes the leak and allows the water to balance (to get both hot and cold water) is to replace both the thermo element valve and the both of the stop valves.

You'll need both the 47.111 and the 08.355.

I have replaced all three of those valves twice now, (last time in March of 2005) and it has started to leak again.

I've contacted Grohe, to see if they will send more replacements. We'll see what happens.

Also, it is somewhat difficult to get the parts back together, that is, setting the part that goes behind the handle in the right place as well as where to place the temp. gauge. If you try to hire a plumber that isn't familiar with these then it might cost you quite a bit if it takes him a long time. You might ask them if they know how to replace them before you get them to come out.

If you're able to do it yourself, get a digital camera and take pictures as you disassemble it. It will still be fairly difficult, but it will help if you can see how it looked before.
    Last edited by Terry; 04-26-2011 at 06:51 PM.

DIY Junior Member frustratedplumber's Avatar

Default fixing the drip

This forum has been very helpful. I also called Grohe and the helpful service rep told me that my 7-year old facet was still under warranty. They are sending me two complete stop valves free of charge. However, I also found the o-ring set for the valve stem & stop valve exterior (47 045) available online at Guillens. Although this is listed for the 34 434 facet, don't be deterred. The stop valve 08 355 is the same as for the 34 436 facet.

Default It's probably me

This forum is great, thanks all for the awesome info.

We bought a house last year and inherited a bathroom with a Grohe model 34-436 faucet for the shower (for a shower pan) – possibly the best part if the bathroom. The faucet was working great, but when removing the baseboard in the bathroom I saw a little bit of mold and a wet spot at the edge of the shower pan under the baseboard. I figured it might be the grout around the pan that was leaking, but then also noticed a gap between the shower pan and the escutcheon. So I tightened the plate to move it closer to the wall… and that’s when the problem started.

The lever became very tight when the faucet was moved into the close position and the shower started to drip, ever so slightly. Probably a drop every 15 seconds. This was before a read this thread, so I was not confident on opening up the faucet to see what was going on. After reading this post it sounds to me that my stop valves might not be a problem, but instead possibly a faulty installation?

When I loosen the screws that hold the escutcheon, the lever becomes less tight when closing the faucet. Has anyone had this kind of a problem? is the escutcheon supposed to move when the lever is turned (it gets pulled in when the lever is moved right to close the shower). Any ideas on what I should look into first?

Looking at the exploded diagram of the faucet, it looks like the escutcheon is supposed to screw into the plaster guard. Is the plaster guard then supposed to move with the yoke?

What is the compensating ring part number 47 347 supposed to do? would that help in my case?
    Last edited by Terry; 04-26-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Default Grohe 34 436 Temp Problem

I've read all these reply's about the Grohe stop valves but nobody mentioned a temp problem. I've had my Grohe shower for 8 years and about every 2-3 years the temp gets stuck. Twice it has been stuck on cold and once on hot. Meaning I turn the temp knob and nothing happens. In the past I have removed and "backflushed" the cartridge and cleaned the screen on it and this fixed the problem. This time it is stuck on hot(about 90F) and cleaning the cartridge isn't working. I have tried to take the cartridge apart without much luck. It does split in half where the screen is but that's is the best I have been able to do. I don't want to spend $150 on a new cartridge if I can fix this one but I don't have a diagram or instructions on how to disassemble the cartridge. I'm asking Grohe the same questions. Did someone say they don't answer emails and I should call them????