House on well- loud vibrating sound under floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Kgiulian

Reaction score
Hello,

Our family recently moved into a home on a well, and because our prior homes had city water, we feel pretty clueless. Last month our well tank went bad, and we had it replaced. Shortly after it was replaced, we started to hear a loud vibrating noise every time we run any water in the house (hot, cold, flush toilet, etc). It starts approximately 20-30 seconds after flushing a toilet or running water, and the sound and vibration last for about 10 seconds. The problem seems to be getting worse, as it is lasting longer and seems louder.

Any ideas? My father in law is very handy, but inexperienced w wells, so he may be able to fix the problem once its diagnosed, but we aren't sure where to start. He actually installed the well tank when a plumber confirmed that was the problem. Could the sound be related to that?

Oh, and the noise seems to be the worst right under the kitchen floor (not in the basement with the well tank, sump pump, water heater, etc)

We live in IL and are scared that if we dont address this now, it could turn into an emergency situation in the dead of winter.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am guessing you have too much air in the pressure tank. Sounds like the bladder is hitting the bottom of the tank. With the pump turned off and all the water drained from the tank, a tire pressure gauge should show at least 5 PSI less air in the tank that the pressure that the pump is started. ie; 40/60 pressure switch, 35 PSI air in the tank.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Make sure your air gauge and your water gauge are both reading the same. Many folk make the mistake of assuming they read the same and set the precharge based on the air gauge but then set the switch based on the water gauge.

Kgiulian

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions! I just sent them to my father in law who is going to check them out. A friend was over and said it sounded like something was wrong with the pump (a baring going out or something?). Is this a possibility? If so, would that create a loud vibrating sound?

If my father in law can't fix the problem, who should we call? Are general plumbers usually certified to work on wells? I'm sorry for all the questions! I cant seem to find specific "well servicing" companies in our area, so I'm not sure who to call.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Kgiulian

Reaction score
Upon further investigation, the sound appears to be coming from the pipes, not the tank. When we stand next to the surge tank and turn water on somewhere else in the home to trigger the pump to run, when it reaches maximum pressure (60psi), the pump shuts off and a harmonic vibration is heard in the pipes in the ceiling. This happens after the pump shuts off. Any other suggestions?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks